oli

Default How can I delete all the index entries {XE...} in a word document

Hello !
How can I delete all (THOUSANDS) the index entries {XE...} in a word
document ?
tHX.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I delete all the index entries {XE...} in a word document

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with that. Here's how you can delete all the index entries {XE...} in a Word document:
  1. Press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select the entire document.
  2. Press Ctrl + H on your keyboard to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
  3. In the "Find what" field, type {XE and make sure to include the opening brace.
  4. Leave the "Replace with" field blank.
  5. Click on the "Replace All" button.
  6. Word will show you a message telling you how many replacements it made. Click "OK" to close the message box.

And that's it! All the index entries {XE...} should now be deleted from your document. Just be sure to double-check that you didn't accidentally delete any other text you wanted to keep.
__________________

Jay Freedman

oli wrote:
Hello !
How can I delete all (THOUSANDS) the index entries {XE...} in a word
document ?
tHX.

In the Edit Replace dialog, type

^19 XE

in the Find What box (note the space between the 9 and the X). Leave the
Replace With box blank, and click the Replace All button.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Leslie Leslie is offline

You list ^d XE, another person lists ^19 XE. Neither work for me. What might
I be doing wrong. I do get a message that it deleted some but still have
hundreds not deleted. Can you help?

oli wrote:
Hello !
How can I delete all (THOUSANDS) the index entries {XE...} in a word
document ?
tHX.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Either should work with XE fields automatically inserted, however if you
have hand inserted the fields and there is no space between the bracket and
XE eg
{XE etc
Then you would have to remove the space from the search string thus ^dXE

oli wrote:
Hello !
How can I delete all (THOUSANDS) the index entries {XE...} in a word
document ?
tHX.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Brenda" wrote:
How do you use the replace function?

As Graham said, first make sure the XE fields are visible ({ XE ... } with a
dotted underline).
If not, try to show formatting marks (that is, click the button with ¶ on
the Standard toolbar, or use the keyboard shortcut ... Ctrl+* on my machine,
probably Ctrl+Shift+8 on an English keyboard).

You find the Replace function In the menu under Edit Replace...
Or, again, use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+H.

Type in ^d XE in "Find what", and leave "Replace with" empty, then click on
"Replace all".

Regards,
Klaus