Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joann joann is offline

Default Start a document at chapter heading 3.4, for example, instead of 1

I figured out how to change the first chapter heading in a Word document so
that the document will start with section 3.4, say, instead of 1. Here are
the instructions I follow:
1. Place your cursor next to your Heading 1 Style and activate the Reveal
Formatting dialog box. (Format, Reveal Formatting).
2. Scroll down and select List.
3. In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, the Outline Numbered tab should
be selected. Click Customize.
4. In the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box, if I want to change a
heading from 1.1 to 3.4, in the Level box, select 1 and then in the Start
at box, select 3. Click OK.
5. Open the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box again. This time
select Level 2 and then Start at 4. Click OK.

However, when I make this change, save the document, and then close it, when
I open the document again, it is back to starting at 1.1. What am I doing
wrong?

I am using Windows XP 2002 and Word 2003 SP2.

Thank you for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Tools | Templates and Add-Ins, make sure to clear the "Automatically
update document styles" option, before modifying the numbering.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JoanN" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joann joann is offline

Default Start a document at chapter heading 3.4, for example, instead

Thank you, Stefan. I tried doing what you suggested, and it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help!

Joan

"JoanN" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement