Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Smithee Jr.

Default hidden special characters

**there is a hidden special charater the look somewhat like a hyphen but
perhaps more like the litter "L' rotated to the left and then flip upside
down. A straight line with another short vertical line going down from the
right end. What is this character? What does it do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

Alan.

Can't say, but you might find it he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Alan Smithee Jr. wrote:
**there is a hidden special charater the look somewhat like a hyphen
but perhaps more like the litter "L' rotated to the left and then
flip upside down. A straight line with another short vertical line
going down from the right end. What is this character? What does it
do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Smithee Jr.

and...searching for this character in the document doesn't work. cut/pasting
into the search dialogue yeilds no results even though I have a document
with many of these characters.

btw...this document was produced by scanning text and they seem to be hypens
of breaking syllables in words at the right side of the page

**

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Smithee Jr.

Thanks for the reply, Greg. No...nothing like it in that web page.

What's rather annoying is that I can search/find it or search/replace it
with nothing to delete them all in one go.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

E-mail it to me and I will try to find out what it is. No macros please.

cut the CAPS from the address below.
RrOMEORgOLF

--

Alan Smithee Jr. wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Greg. No...nothing like it in that web page.

What's rather annoying is that I can search/find it or search/replace
it with nothing to delete them all in one go.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

Got your file.

They are optional hyphens.

EditReplaceMoreSpecial.

Click on the optional hyphen symbol ^- to insert it in the find what field.

--

"Alan Smithee Jr." wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Greg. No...nothing like it in that web page.

What's rather annoying is that I can search/find it or search/replace it
with nothing to delete them all in one go.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Herb Tyson [MVP]

It's an "optional hyphen". If a word is close to the end of a line, that
hyphenation point will be used. Otherwise, optional hyphens are hidden and
don't show up when the document is printed.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Alan Smithee Jr." wrote in message
**there is a hidden special charater the look somewhat like a hyphen but
perhaps more like the litter "L' rotated to the left and then flip upside
down. A straight line with another short vertical line going down from the
right end. What is this character? What does it do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you didn't find it on that page, you weren't looking hard enough. From
the article: "A conditional hyphen (one that is printed only if it falls at
a line break, entered with Ctrl+Hyphen) is shown as ¬."

"Alan Smithee Jr." wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Greg. No...nothing like it in that web page.

What's rather annoying is that I can search/find it or search/replace it
with nothing to delete them all in one go.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Smithee Jr.

Ooops. Sorry. Yes....I see it there now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan Smithee Jr.

Still seems odd, thought, that selecting...copying...pasting that character
into Search Dialogue doesn't produce any found characters.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:13:30 -0800 from Alan Smithee Jr.
:
**there is a hidden special charater the look somewhat like a hyphen but
perhaps more like the litter "L' rotated to the left and then flip upside
down. A straight line with another short vertical line going down from the
right end. What is this character? What does it do?

It sounds like the logical "not". I don't know what you mean by
"hidden"; it's Alt+0172.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You have to search for ^-. That's the code for "Optional Hyphen," as found
in the Special menu in the Find dialog.

"Alan Smithee Jr." wrote in message
Still seems odd, thought, that selecting...copying...pasting that

character
into Search Dialogue doesn't produce any found characters.

special characters no longer exists Abdou1884 New Users 2 June 7th 05 01:49 PM
finding special characters New Users 2 June 1st 05 09:51 AM
Alt key and numeric pad no longer give me special characters.???? Guitarman Microsoft Word Help 1 May 20th 05 02:54 PM
Difficulties mail merging special characters from excel to word 20 Nondejuu Mailmerge 1 January 5th 05 01:30 PM
How do I insert special characters (straight quotes) and where do. rlrlatr35 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 11:12 PM