Alan

Default Searching for straight or curly quotemarks

When searching I can't find any way to make Word distinguish between
leftquote (‘), rightquote (’) and quote ('), (or the three
doublequotes “, ”, ".). Often I want to check that all the
straightquotes have been converted correctly to typographic quotes.
I know that I can simply search for (') and replace with (') and with
smartquotes enabled most of the quotes will be correctly converted --
but there are special cases (as words beginning with an apostrophe,
like ’til) which I need to fix manually.

So far I can only do this by copying and pasting the entire document
into something like Wordpad, which does let me search for these
characters separately.

I'm mostly using Word 97 and Word2000.