Alan

Default finding and removing hyperlinks

I've got several files with a lot of hyperlink references. I'm
importing them into a DTP app. However, I found that many (not all) of
these links simply disappeared from the text after the import.

If I select each one I can make it not a hyperlink, i.e. just plain
text, and that works fine.

Trying to do this more systematically, I can't find a way to "Find"
hyperlinks. I know I can just search for "www" and "http" and that
will get most of them, but that's not guaranteed, and it would be good
to be sure I had found them all, and I could even build it into a
macro.

Jay Freedman

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:03:01 +0800, Alan wrote:

I've got several files with a lot of hyperlink references. I'm
importing them into a DTP app. However, I found that many (not all) of
these links simply disappeared from the text after the import.

If I select each one I can make it not a hyperlink, i.e. just plain
text, and that works fine.

Trying to do this more systematically, I can't find a way to "Find"
hyperlinks. I know I can just search for "www" and "http" and that
will get most of them, but that's not guaranteed, and it would be good
to be sure I had found them all, and I could even build it into a
macro.

See
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ab8a5bf5?hl=en
for a macro that will do the job.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Regards,
Jay Freedman
Anne Troy

Hi, Alan. I usually just delete the style called Hyperlink from my document.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Alan" wrote in message
news:1127912582.c4fa9f9a8b47ba7ed64192c972d55831@t eranews...
I've got several files with a lot of hyperlink references. I'm
importing them into a DTP app. However, I found that many (not all) of
these links simply disappeared from the text after the import.

If I select each one I can make it not a hyperlink, i.e. just plain
text, and that works fine.

Trying to do this more systematically, I can't find a way to "Find"
hyperlinks. I know I can just search for "www" and "http" and that
will get most of them, but that's not guaranteed, and it would be good
to be sure I had found them all, and I could even build it into a
macro.

Alan

"Alan" wrote in message
news:1127912582.c4fa9f9a8b47ba7ed64192c972d55831@ teranews...
I've got several files with a lot of hyperlink references. I'm
importing them into a DTP app. However, I found that many (not all) of
these links simply disappeared from the text after the import.

If I select each one I can make it not a hyperlink, i.e. just plain
text, and that works fine.

Trying to do this more systematically, I can't find a way to "Find"
hyperlinks. I know I can just search for "www" and "http" and that
will get most of them, but that's not guaranteed, and it would be good
to be sure I had found them all, and I could even build it into a
macro.

Interesting, I didn't realise that was a "character style".
But that doesn't remove the link, just its appearance, now it looks
like plain text but is still a hyperlink.

Anne Troy

My bad, Alan. If you have no other fields (including page numbers, etc), you
can use Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Shift+F9 to remove fields, including hyperlinks.
But other than that, you'll have to use Jay's method, or this one:
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=748
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

news:1127931602.4f708fd5e5c494c6053c1e58636d7bcb@t eranews...

"Alan" wrote in message
news:1127912582.c4fa9f9a8b47ba7ed64192c972d55831 @teranews...
I've got several files with a lot of hyperlink references. I'm
importing them into a DTP app. However, I found that many (not all) of
these links simply disappeared from the text after the import.

If I select each one I can make it not a hyperlink, i.e. just plain
text, and that works fine.

Trying to do this more systematically, I can't find a way to "Find"
hyperlinks. I know I can just search for "www" and "http" and that
will get most of them, but that's not guaranteed, and it would be good
to be sure I had found them all, and I could even build it into a
macro.

Interesting, I didn't realise that was a "character style".
But that doesn't remove the link, just its appearance, now it looks
like plain text but is still a hyperlink.

Alan

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:28:03 -0400, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

My bad, Alan. If you have no other fields (including page numbers, etc), you
can use Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Shift+F9 to remove fields, including hyperlinks.
But other than that, you'll have to use Jay's method, or this one:
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=748

That macro works for hyperlinks in text, but doesn't seem to do
anything to those in footnotes, which is where most are (I probably
should have mentioned that), even if the footnote window is open.

But select all and "Ctrl+Shift+F9" works -- where is this on the
menus? I'd guess Edit|Links, but that is always greyed out, even if I
have a hyperlink selected and can open the hyperlink menu on
right-click.

I'd like to know what I'm doing, and check any side effects.

Daiya Mitchell

Hi Alan,

Ctrl-shift-F9 is UnlinkFields--it doesn't exist on the menu, but you can
drag it out of Tools | Customize and put it somewhere. I assume you repeated
the select all and ctrl-shift-F9 process with the cursor in the notes to fix
them?

Re the macro not working for notes, see here;
http://daiya.mvps.org/wordpages.htm

I'm not very good at VBA but I guess that macros have to have explicit code
to tell them to loop through each text story and repeat an action--I know to
get a macro that updates all fields, the macro has to specifically check the
main text, then the footers, etc. It doesn't look like that macro does that.

You might be interested in this collection of links re long documents in
Word;
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

wrote:

My bad, Alan. If you have no other fields (including page numbers, etc), you
can use Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Shift+F9 to remove fields, including hyperlinks.
But other than that, you'll have to use Jay's method, or this one:
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=748

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/