Default Suggestions for speeding up Word 2K's performance

I doubled my RAM to no avail. The program still has the aggravating
habit of 'hanging' on a keystroke or command, not showing what the last
action was until I move the cursor or create another keystroke. Am I
clear?

I presumed it was too many programs running, too little RAM or
something else that was clogging up my memory. I've tried shutting down
everyting but the document I'm working on, and still have the problem.
I've cleaned up all the adware, spyware, etc., so that's not the
problem. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast. Is there a
way to shut off part of Word to get it to run smoother? Would I be well
served buying a newer edition of Word? (and if so, do I really have to
buy all of Office or just a newer Word version?)

Thanks....

PS - I went to Microsoft's website and after a check, they said my
program was not in need of any updates.

TF

This is usually because either the graphics and/or printer drivers need
updating. Check on the Internet support site to see if you have the latest
drivers. The other possible problem is that you have Speech Recognition
enabled.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

oups.com...
:
: I presumed it was too many programs running, too little RAM or
: something else that was clogging up my memory. I've tried shutting down
: everyting but the document I'm working on, and still have the problem.
: I've cleaned up all the adware, spyware, etc., so that's not the
: problem. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast. Is there a
: way to shut off part of Word to get it to run smoother? Would I be well
: served buying a newer edition of Word? (and if so, do I really have to
: buy all of Office or just a newer Word version?)
:
: Thanks....
:

I can find nothing in "Help" to indicate I have Voice Recognition on my
Word 2000. Are you talking about drivers associated with my printers or
printer-drivers associated with my Word software? I have 2 printers,
both almost new, and the problem is there regardless of what printer is
designated Default.

Searching through "Help" I find nothing to suggest my Word 2000 has
Voice Recognition. So I'm assuming that feature isn't a factor. As I
mentioned, I went to Microsoft's website where it did its thing, then
told me i needed no updates. Now, maybe it didn't check my printer
drivers or graphic drivers. I can tell you that I've recently purchased
two new printers, and that the drivers associated with my Lexmark and
HP printers are also up to date. Or are you talking about drivers built
into Word for printing and graphics?

Thanks.

I downloaded (even if I didn't need them) the latest drivers for my two
printers (Lexmark and Epson). I did not help the slowness of Word at
all. So I must conclude this is not a problem with printer drivers. I
don't have voice recognition, so it's not that. I don't know what
graphics drivers are, so I can't persue that suggestion. My gut feeling
is that there is some setting on my Word program that is busy scanning
something in the background, slowing down the process. I am certain the
program did not behave this way -- say a year ago or so. I wonder if
anyone out there can think of some setting in the tools that might do
this.

Thanks

TF

Select WinKey+Break (which opens the Systems Properties dialog) and select
the hardware tab and then click on Device Manager. Double-click on Display
Adapter and windows will tell you exactly what display adapter (graphics
card in the real world) you have installed. Then go to the Internet support
site for that the manufacturer and download the latest driver that matches
the card type and your OS. Follow the manufacturers guidance for
installation.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
:I downloaded (even if I didn't need them) the latest drivers for my two
: printers (Lexmark and Epson). I did not help the slowness of Word at
: all. So I must conclude this is not a problem with printer drivers. I
: don't have voice recognition, so it's not that. I don't know what
: graphics drivers are, so I can't persue that suggestion. My gut feeling
: is that there is some setting on my Word program that is busy scanning
: something in the background, slowing down the process. I am certain the
: program did not behave this way -- say a year ago or so. I wonder if
: anyone out there can think of some setting in the tools that might do
: this.
:
: Thanks
:

Pop

Terry's advice to use Device Mgr to get your info & drivers was good and if
you haven't done that, I'd still try it if it was me in your shoes; well,
chair anyway; I'm pretty sure you're sitting on something to type g!
IMO, the printer and graphic drivers, BTW, are important because Word
uses them to create its Preview modes, and several other things. So the
drivers -could- work OK with everything else, but be corrupted such that
Word can't use them as it wants to. Just thought you might like to know why
I suggested them earlier.

About the only things I can think of (or find) in Word along these lines
would be the macro protection. Tools, Options, select the Security Tab and
click the Macro Security in the lower left of the window.
I don't think that's the problem but just in case it is, I would -still-
recommend keeping the setting turned ON. Macro viruses are fairly easy to
pick up and their sources are NOT other .doc files; they're regular old
viruses. BUT, that should only slow down file loading, not mess with the
appearance of keystrokes.
Any chance you're using a "special" keyboard of any kind? I did have a
programmable keyboard do that to me several years ago. A standard keyboard
wouldn't do what you're seeing, but a "special" might - they sometimes have
their own processors inside them, doing lots of work.

You did make me think though: It would be worth a trip through the Tools,
Options tabs to be sure everything is set where you want/need it to be,
although it seems to me they wouldn't cause problems instantly, as soon as
you opened even a blank document, which I feel sure you described. At any
rate, it might be worth the look-see. Look at each and every tab and see
what it's set for.
There are too many for me to list here, but feel free to come back with
more questions for the ones that elude you; someone will know about them.
You won't hurt anything by testing them out: If you're afraid one of the
settings might screw up your install, don't be. If you still are though,
just change that one single thing and check it out. If it didn't make any
difference, put it back where it was.

You might want to try reinstalling Word in-place. I don't remember what the
Menu item is called, but it's self explanatory. Pop the CD in the drive and
let it start the installer. By installing in-place you won't lose any data.
I'm not positive some settings might change though, so if you have macros
and things stored in templates (esp normal.dot it's a hidden file I think)
you might want to back them up first. The reinstall only takes a few
minutes - all it does is copy fresh files to the disk.
You might also need to apply any fixes/updates to Word after that, but
not sure. Check Help About to see what fixes are installed before/after the
reinsall in place.

HTH,

Pop
--
Let someone else do it
I'm re-tired!
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Select WinKey+Break (which opens the Systems Properties dialog) and select
the hardware tab and then click on Device Manager. Double-click on Display
Adapter and windows will tell you exactly what display adapter (graphics
card in the real world) you have installed. Then go to the Internet
support
site for that the manufacturer and download the latest driver that matches
the card type and your OS. Follow the manufacturers guidance for
installation.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/