Mike B

Default autoshapes in headers and footers

(Word 2003)
I'm experiencing strange behaviour of my headers and footers. they contain
autoshapes and/or pictures which are extremely difficult to position
correctly eg.
1. to nudge left with left arrow key, nudges shape to the right!?
2. draggging shape with mouse - it then returns to original position (to
middle of page)
3. can't select more than one shape at a time (using shift key) so can't use
align buttons.

This only occurs in headers and footers. Other shapes/pictures behave
perfectly in the page layout. Any ideas why this is happenning?
thanks

--
MB.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWlrZSBC?=,

(Word 2003)
I'm experiencing strange behaviour of my headers and footers. they contain
autoshapes and/or pictures which are extremely difficult to position
correctly eg.
1. to nudge left with left arrow key, nudges shape to the right!?
2. draggging shape with mouse - it then returns to original position (to
middle of page)
3. can't select more than one shape at a time (using shift key) so can't use
align buttons.

Are you able to position the shapes using the Format dialog box and typing in a
value?

From the sound of it, I'd say the document's internal structures might be
slightly damaged. Do you see the same behavior if you
- close Word
- Start Word, holding the CTRL key so that you go into Safe Mode
- test

If things behave more "normally" when you do this, you might try saving the
document to XML file format, close it, open it again and save again to *.doc
format.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org