Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zpaddy Zpaddy is offline

Default Link autonumbered fields from one document into another

As shown in other questions there are a number of ways to get a bookmarked
item into another document (hyperlink, include, paste special/hyperlink) and
if the item DOES NOT include an autonumbered field everything is fine. When
you do it wanting the autonumber field, depending on the field used, the
autonumber will not be there or it will most likely be wrong. In other words
there was a heading in document A: 4.1.2 LaDiDa. Going to document B and
adding a field for it there changes it to: 1.1.1 LaDiDa (assume no headings
exist in B) when I hoped to see 4.1.2 LaDiDa along with having it updateable.

Hopefully this isn't explained elsewhere but I did try to find anything else
looking for hyperlink, ref field (was hoping this could be modified somehow
to include the document name and used), paste, and one or two others.

If it helps, I am creating a matrix setting up references between the
documents which will be changing content and heading number. I may have to
look into some way to no a change has happened but might just do a save and
compare against a new copy unless there is a better way - turn on change
tracking perhaps but will have to try it if/when I can build the matrix with
fields.

Thx for any help,
Pat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Pat,

You need to add the Lock Result (\!) field switch to the affected field(s).
See under 'General Switches' in Word's help file.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Zpaddy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zpaddy Zpaddy is offline

macropod,

Looking at things it appears that the only fields that bring along the
"heading" are a Edit/Hyperlink and LINK or EMBED which don't accept the (\!).
The others may/may not bring the heading level over and don't display the
heading level (i.e., 4.1.2). If forced to show it by changing from say
Heading level 3 to 2 to 3 it will show 1.1.1 assuming no heading levels exist
in the document. So it looks like I probably need to do the numbering
manually which sucks but at least using LINK for the content will show me
changes if Change Tracking is enabled so I can then check out the numbering.

-Pat

"Zpaddy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Pat,

Since you're linking to another document, the INCLUDETEXT field is probably
the one to use, and this does accept the Lock Result (\!) field switch.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Zpaddy" wrote in message
macropod,

Looking at things it appears that the only fields that bring along the
"heading" are a Edit/Hyperlink and LINK or EMBED which don't accept the

(\!).