PLR

Default How can I get document from an unformatted floppy?

I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted. Can
this be done? If so how?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

You have to format a floppy before you can use it. If there are files on
that floppy, it was formatted. Why do you think otherwise?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PLR" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted. Can
this be done? If so how?

Jay Freedman

Possibly PLR thinks it's unformatted because of the moronic message
that Windows displays when it fails to read a badly damaged disk:
"This disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" If you
believe the message and don't know what you're doing, and answer yes,
then anything you might have been able to retrieve from the disk is
permanently trashed.

If you answered no, there is a possibility of recovering the files
with special software. This software is too difficult and dangerous
for use by the clueless, though. If you don't know what to do with it,
find or hire a knowledgeable person to do it for you. And be prepared
for the possibility that there's nothing salvageable there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"PLR" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted. Can
this be done? If so how?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

That's what I suspected but I figured I'd ask just in case that wasn't the
case. Chances are someone saved the file straight from Word to the floppy.

I sure hope those files weren't critical because if they
were.......................... :-(

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PLR" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted.
Can
this be done? If so how?

PLE

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was explained by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.
--
PLR

"PLR" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted. Can
this be done? If so how?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I have a floppy drive and it works just fine on Win XP. Of course that means
absolutely nothing but............. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"PLR" wrote in message
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP. I am trying to get
documents that were copied onto a floppy disk that was not formatted.
Can
this be done? If so how?

CyberTaz

Hi PLE-

Just to elaborate slightly on the excellent responses already offered...
Minimize the potential for future problems by:

A) Not trying to save directly to a floppy disk (or any other type of
removable media), and

B) Do Not try to open a file on removable media directly from the source.

Always save new files to your hard drive, then copy/move them to the
removable media. When you need to revise a file stored on floppy, CD, etc.
copy/move it to your hard drive & open that copy. Revise & save to that
file, then copy/move back to the removable.

Regards |:)

On 7/25/05 12:28 PM, in article
, "PLE"
wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was explained by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SMS

My problem is similar in that the computer tells me the floppy is
unformatted. But it is formatted! My new computer is a Dell XPS 400, Intel
Pentium D with Office 2003 Professional Software. My old computer has Office
97 Professional and, fortunately, I still have it with the files still on it.
Do I understand you to be saying that I need to copy the file to the 3 1/2
inch floppy and insert this disk into the new computer and move it to the My
documents file, instead of trying to get the new computer to retrieve it?

Do you think I need to buy new floppies, before trying this or format the
old ones? Thank you for any help you can give!

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was explained by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Floppies are very unrealiable. If your old computer has a USB port, you
should use a USB Key to move the files over.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was explained
by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with
the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you have written a document from Word to floppy and the PC reports the
floppy needs formatting then that floppy is corrupt. Never ever read from,
write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are the most certain methods
of ensuring document corruption.

You should be able to reformat the floppies and *copy* document to them
using Windows Explorer, but you will lose any data they contained.

If your PC(s) do not have them, you can obtain Ethernet cards very cheaply,
which in conjunction with a crossover cable would allow you to simply shunt
the files across from one to the other via an ad hoc network.

Alternatively you may have a USB key or even a digital camera with a card
reader that you could use to move the data.

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was
explained by Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the
same problem with the A drive I purchase that I've read some have
had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SMS

Thank you for your prompt response. I will see if my old computer has a USB
port. What is a USB key??

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was explained
by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with
the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It's a solid state removable memory device.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keydrive

--

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was
explained
by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with
the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SMS

Thank you for the helpful and much needed definition!

wrote:

JoAnn Paules,
Thanks for your response. The reason I thought otherwise was
explained by
Jay F. I'm also wondering if I'm going to have the same problem
with the A
drive I purchase that I've read some have had with Windows XP.

Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 39 April 19th 06 06:35 PM
I lost a document on a floppy disk, can I recover it using word? struggling student Microsoft Word Help 1 June 29th 05 09:37 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Can you save individual document pages as seperate word files? John Calligy Mailmerge 2 April 12th 05 09:14 AM
I can't get a mail merge document to open, I get "the document na. hask104 Mailmerge 0 March 31st 05 01:57 AM