SmokinGuns

Default Password Protection

I'm trying to put a password on one of my documents, but i'm sure how to do
it. I know, dummy. Could anyone offer me some suggestions?
garfield-n-odie

Quoting from Word 2002 Help:

Passwords have a number of uses; for example, you can:
€¢ Require a password to open a file to prevent unauthorized
users from opening a document at all.
€¢ Require a password to modify a file to allow others to open
the document but only allow authorized users to make changes to
it. If someone changes the document without the password to
modify, that person can save the document only by giving it a
different file name.

Passwords are case-sensitive, so if you vary the capitalization
when you assign the password, users must type the same
capitalization when they enter the password.

A password can contain any combination of letters, numerals,
spaces, and symbols, and it can be up to 15 characters long. If
you select advanced encryption options, you can make a password
even longer.

When you create a password, write it down and keep it in a secure
place. If you lose the password, you cannot open or gain access
to the password-protected document.

1. Open the file.

2. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Security.

3. Do one of the following:

-- Create a password to open
1. In the Password to open box, type a password, and then
click OK.
2. In the Reenter password to open box, type the password
again, and then click OK.

-- Create a password to modify
1. In the Password to modify box, type a password, and
then click OK.
2. In the Reenter password to modify box, type the
password again, and then click OK.

Tip: To create a long password €” up to 255 characters €” click
Advanced, and select an RC4 encryption type.