Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

Default Word 2007 Styles

I've been redefining styles in Word 2007 but they never seem to take. When I
restart the program it always goes back to the default style set and
selections. The new style I've created doesnt' even show up on the style
palette.

Can someone please tell me how to save my new styles in the normal template
so they're available to all newly created documents? I find this function
much less intuitive than in previous versions of Word. I've never had
problems with managing styles before.
Elliot Berlin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document. The style travels with the doc,
but it doesn't gt saved to Normal.dot by default. Pay particular attention
to the dialog's bottom - I don't recall the exact wording & don't have a
system running '07 available at the moment, but I believe the choice is
displayed as option (radio) buttons. I'm sure that was done to prevent
inexperienced users from innundating Normal.dot with scads of "once-only"
styles & inadvertent changes to others.

If there's more to the issue please post back with more detail - any
feedback on '07 is quite usefull to all in the newsgroups.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Tengu" wrote in message
I've been redefining styles in Word 2007 but they never seem to take.
When I
restart the program it always goes back to the default style set and
selections. The new style I've created doesnt' even show up on the style
palette.

Can someone please tell me how to save my new styles in the normal
template
so they're available to all newly created documents? I find this function
much less intuitive than in previous versions of Word. I've never had
problems with managing styles before.
Elliot Berlin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

Thanks for your reply. What you describe makes sense because I can redefine
styles in the current document but they don't migrate to newly created docs.
I've looked pretty hard for an option to save a style to the root document
template but at this point, if such an option is there, I think I need
someone to point me to it. I don't seem to be able to locate it. My only
interest is in setting up styles that I can use in all subsequent documents.
Elliot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

I believe that's more a workaround than a solution. I think it would be
very odd for the software engineers to have completely removed the
opportunity for users to do any universal customization of styles.

This won't work for me because I have already have a number of templates for
specific purposes but really don't want to have to use a new document from
template command either every time I start a new doc or everytime I want to
begin a document formatted in the way I'm currently concerned about. Mostly
I'll use this to create new docs with a pre-formatted heading. But I want to
take advantage of the style palette's ability to revert to normal formatting
after the opening line or paragraph simply by hitting the return key.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps it would be easier just to create a document template from scratch?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

It seems like the more thorough I try to be with my explanation the more
confusing it becomes for you!

I want to be able to define a style and then have that style be available in
ALL subsequent new documents. I don't want it to be the default style, just
available if and when I want it at the click of my mouse. In the past one
added such things to what I believe was called the "global" template saved in
normal.dot.

I haven't found a way to save any redefined or new styles that survive
beyond the document I'm working on when I define them.

To be a little more specific:
I often create documents for which I like to have a formatted title with
these attributes: my default font in 16 point bold and itelic type, and in
small caps format. I am able to change the "Heading 1" style accordingly AND
to create and name a new style. Since I always base it on "Heading 1" it has
the feature that it reverts to my default font when I hit the return key
after typing the title line. I want it to do that! But when I exit the
current document and exit and restart word that style is no longer visible on
the style palette.
eb
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Tengu:

Once you accept that Word 2007 was designed for people who don't know how to
use a word processor, you will get the idea :-)

In Word 2007, the user is supposed to use Quick Style Sets, and the user is
not expected to need to change them: that's the administrator's job. So the
top-level tools make it easy for the user to change the styles in the
current document without changing the styles in the template.

Under the Change Styles chunk on the ribbon is a tiny box. Click that and
you can "Show the Styles window". In the Styles Window you can access a
Modify command for the style you are interested in.

At the bottom of the Modify dialog, are two radio buttons: "Only in this
document" and "Documents based on this template". Choose the second: it's
the equivalent of the previous "Add to template" command on the Styles
dialog.

When you save the document, Word will then also save the template, and your
changes will be preserved.

This is an end-user tool: performing complex administration functions such
as modifying the styles in a template is never going to be easy!

Cheers

On 18/1/07 4:14 PM, in article
, "Tengu"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
srd srd is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:34:03 -0800, CyberTaz
typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document.

How does it work in Word 2003? There's a check box to save style to
template. Which template? If a hierarchy of templates is loaded, how does
Word 2003 decide?

Stephen R. Diamond
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The style is saved to the attached template (as seen in the Tools |
Templates and Add-Ins dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"srd" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:34:03 -0800, CyberTaz
typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the

style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document.

How does it work in Word 2003? There's a check box to save style to
template. Which template? If a hierarchy of templates is loaded, how

does
Word 2003 decide?

Stephen R. Diamond

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SB Mull SB Mull is offline

I will try your solution for that particular problem, but I have another
issue with styles that I will set up as a new post because it is different.
--
Sandra

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Thanks for teh pointer to the change styles toolm, I too was looking for a
way to make a particular style set available to all docuemnts. I think this
will do the trick.

Thanks foo your time and knowledge-- that's what make thsi forum so valuable!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nik Nik is offline

Apologies for opening this thread again, but I am rather struggling due to my
own ignorance.

Using Word 2007 I have managed to set my paragraphs to have a 1.27 indent on
the first line (which my publisher expects). Using the previous posts I have
successfully set the default indent across the normal template, which is
great.

However, this doesn't just indent only paragraph text, but every single line
of text even if it is not a paragraph specifically.

For example, chapter headings are indented. The title is indented. I see
these are based upon basic "paragraphs" but this behaviour isn't what I
expected. What am I doing wrong for titles to indent so?

Is there a way to undo this behaviour yet retain the paragraph formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would suggest that you use heading styles for your headings and the Body
Text First Indent style (as modified to have your preferred indent) for your
body text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Nik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

Did you set the 1.27 indent on your Normal style? If so, and if all your
other styles are based on Normal style (which is how we set up styles in our
office), then the 1.27 indent will apply itself to _all_ your styles. But if,
as Suzanne suggested, you use Heading styles for your headings (whether or
not they're numbered; auto-numbered styles do not actually have to be
numbered in order to work in an outline format), and if you set the 1.27
indent for a specific paragraph text style (such as Body Text First Indent,
etc.), and do not put the 1.27 indent in styles like plain ol' Body Text,
you'll be able to make your text do what YOU want it to instead of feeling
like a victim of styles.

Cyndie Browning
GableGotwals
Tulsa, OK

"Nik" wrote:

Apologies for opening this thread again, but I am rather struggling due to my
own ignorance.

Using Word 2007 I have managed to set my paragraphs to have a 1.27 indent on
the first line (which my publisher expects). Using the previous posts I have
successfully set the default indent across the normal template, which is
great.

However, this doesn't just indent only paragraph text, but every single line
of text even if it is not a paragraph specifically.

For example, chapter headings are indented. The title is indented. I see
these are based upon basic "paragraphs" but this behaviour isn't what I
expected. What am I doing wrong for titles to indent so?

Is there a way to undo this behaviour yet retain the paragraph formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nik Nik is offline

Hullo,

sorry again for the stupid Q, but on the assumption this is different to the
first line indent for the paragraph settings, where can I set the "body text
indent" separately from the generic paragraph indent?

"Nik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Body Text First Indent style is one of Word's built-in styles. By
default it has a 0.15" first-line indent, but you can modify the style to
have any indent you want. It is otherwise identical to the Body Text style
(which is Normal + 6 pts Space After). You really need to learn more about
using styles; see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/stylesms/index.html

http://word.mvps.org

"Nik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nik Nik is offline

I know I'm unfamiliar with themes and styles and I've managed to create some
new styles and even set the margins on my default document.

I did read through the article but it didn't tell me more than what I
already knew - the theory being that styles are an external set of parameters
that define how things should look and where these things are set.

I want to create a theme with three styles in it. Title, Chapter and
Paragraph. I don't need any of the other "Word 2007" style options available
to this theme.

I know I need to learn - that's why I'm asking for help. Sorry to sound a
pillock.

I apologise (again) - how can I set the body text indent to apply to one
custom paragraph style (separate from normal) ? Is this done under the
"Manage styles dialog box"? How then does this link to a paragraph style?

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You say you need three styles: Title, Chapter, and Paragraph. Yet it sounds
as if you want some paragraphs indented and some not. Perhaps I'm misreading
this. I'll assume that you want the Paragraph style to have a first-line
indent, that is, that all your paragraphs will be indented, and of course
you don't want your title and chapter headings to be indented.

My first advice would be to use built-in styles instead of custom ones: why
reinvent the wheel and clutter Word up with even more styles than it already
provides?

There is a built-in Title style. Modify that to your preferences and use it
for your title. I assume that your Chapter style is for the chapter title or
number or some other sort of heading, so use Heading 1 for that (again,
modified to your preferences). For the Paragraph style, use Body Text First
Indent, changing the indent to your specifications. Note that you can add
"Chapter" or "Paragraph" as an alias for the style name if you really feel
the need.

Shauna's articles on applying and modifying styles,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ApplyAStyle.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html, explain how to do
this in Word 2002 and 2003. One thing Shauna doesn't mention is that it's
easier to update styles by example in Word 2002 and 2003 (and 2007); when
you right-click a style name in the Styles task pane, you get the option to
"Update to match selection. The process is very similar in Word 2007. The
main trick is being able to see the requisite styles in the Styles window
(task pane) to begin with.

Begin by displaying the Styles task pane (click on the dialog launcher arrow
in the Styles group on the Home tab). Title and Heading 1 will be displayed
by default. You can select either one, right-click, and choose Modify... To
see the Body Text First Indent style, click Options... and choose "All
styles" for the styles to show. After you've found and modified the Body
Text First Indent style, you can reset this to "Recommended" or "In use" or
"In current document" to display. Note that if you want Body Text First
Indent to be displayed in the Quick Styles gallery, you can right-click and
choose "Add to Quick Style Gallery." You can remove styles from the gallery
by right-clicking them in the Styles task pane and choosing "Remove from
Quick Style Gallery." In this way you can show just the three styles you are
using in the Quick Style Gallery.

http://word.mvps.org

"Nik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick[_2_] Nick[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Righto - I've run through those and found the style I'm looking for, added it to the quick style
gallery.

I also did as you suggested and removed the other entries from the "Word 2007" style gallery. This
all looks great, so I closed Word and opened it up again and... all my changes had disappeared,
including the Body text indent style from the gallery.

What have I not/done for these settings not to "stick" after a restart?

Many thanks, Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you make the changes, you need to choose the radio button for "New
documents based on this template." This button is in the Modify Style
dialog, and since there doesn't seem to be any such setting for the shortcut
menu (Add to Gallery, Remove from Gallery), I'm guessing you'd have to go
individually to each style, right-click, choose Modify..., clear the check
box for "Add to Quick Style list," choose "New documents based on this
template," and then OK.

Pretty tedious, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you do this in
Normal.dotm, anyway (which would be the effect if you chose "New documents
based on this template" in a default Blank Document). It would make more
sense to make the changes in a given document (just using the shortcuts) and
then save that document as a template (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm) and use
that template as the basis for your new documents.

http://word.mvps.org

"Nick" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick[_2_] Nick[_2_] is offline

The trouble is I've about a dozen documents that I want to convert over - and use this setup in future.

I've set the styles up for the chapter headers (centred, heading 1) and set this to be available to
all documents based on this template but after closing word or opening another file these settings
disappear, and I get "Heading 1" default settings back again.

I assumed this is because the template was from a prior version of Word (2003) but saved as a docx
file so I created another blank document and the same problem occured. The new style didn't remain
after a restart of Word.

It also appears impossible to remove custom styles. I've read how to delete them (select the style,
use it's drop down and select delete (for those that offer such) and have done this. I restart word
and they're back again! Similarly with the option to "Revert to Title 1" or similar. Custom styles
just don't seem to be removable.

What needs to be done to have, in the same way there is a "Word 2007" style containing myriad
options to have one custom theme containing only three set ones?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not clear exactly what you've done, but note that any changes you make
in any template (whether it's Normal.dotm or a specific document template)
will affect only new documents based on that template, not existing ones.

http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick[_2_] Nick[_2_] is offline

I think - from some experimenting - the problem isn't so much getting things done but my perception
of how I expect the programme to work. I thought that you could set the styles entry for the taskbar
globally, so the same set of commands, styles etc would show for every document loaded or created
within Word.

However this isn't the case. Styles seem to be document specific. This is understandable. It is (for
the idiots out there) odd when you try to remove a style and another document reinstates it. Evident
that the style will only be deleted from that document - and only that document. Similarly with
any changes made to the task bar. Changes made to that are document specific.

Apologies for these stumbling questions. Pages on the Mac is document specific in it's themes and
formatting, and these can be saved to apply to other documents similar to CSS (as a global theme)
that's what I'm trying to replicate with Word - I can't seem to set a "theme" that contains only my
simple settings that applies globally (and are not present elsewhere making a mess of built in
templates).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick[_2_] Nick[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'm not clear exactly what you've done, but note that any changes you
make in any template (whether it's Normal.dotm or a specific document
template) will affect only new documents based on that template, not
existing ones.

Yes - that I think is where I've been confusing myself. Word settings are document specific. They
can't be set globally.

Thus when I open a document believing I have removed/deleted a pile of other settings they
"magically" reappear.

Is there a way to set themes globally and not by document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are many settings that can be made globally, and there are many
changes that can be made to a template that will affect all new documents,
but there are no document-level settings that can be changed that will
affect existing documents.

For example, you can change settings such as AutoCorrect (on or off), and
these will affect all documents you open.

You can change the default font or modify Normal style or any other style in
the Normal template, and this will affect any new Blank Document you create.

You can modify styles in any other document template, and this will affect
all new documents based on that template.

By default, any changes you make in the UI (such as adding toolbar buttons
or menus), as well as such changes as creating macros or AutoText entries,
will be stored in the Normal template and will be available to *all*
documents. If you explicitly change the save location of such changes to a
different attached template, they will be available only to that template.
The number of such changes you can make in Word 2007 is more limited, but
changes to the QAT, macros, and Building Blocks/Quick Parts/AutoText can
still be saved either to Normal.dotm (by default) or to specific document
templates if they are explicitly selected as the save location.

Only changes in the UI (how Word looks and works) will affect all documents
or all documents based on a specific template. Changes in styles affect only
new documents *unless* you reattach the old template with "Automatically
update document styles* enabled (and even this won't update any
document/section-level formatting you have changed in the template, such as
margins, headers/footers, etc.).

http://word.mvps.org