Rae

Default How do I print business cards from a scanned one

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Copy and paste the image into a template. But don't be surprised when the
results are .......... well, crappy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Use Tools - Letters and Mailings - Envelopes and Labels - Labels tab. Click
Options, and find the product that matches the blank cards you have (e.g.,
Avery 3612, 5371, 5372, etc.).

Leave the Address: field blank, and click New Document. Make sure that
gridlines are displayed (Table - Show Gridlines). Insert the scanned image
of the business card into one of the table cells. Size it so it fits as you
want. Then copy that cell and paste it into each of the other cells. Then
print.

But, as JoAnn says, don't be surprised if the results are crappy. I've never
met a scanned *anything* that was anywhere nearly as good as the original.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

Herb Tyson [MVP]

You can use the instructions I posted, but go ahead and enter the desired
text into each of the table cells. Do one cell, format it as desired, then
copy & paste it to the other cells.

your other post... before copying/pasting it, you'd need to use the
menu's Insert - Picture - From File command to insert it into your document.
Once done, you can then use copy/paste inside your Word document.

BTW... what version of Word are you using?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Copy and paste the image into a template. But don't be surprised when the
results are .......... well, crappy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Ah - there's the rub. You can't. You can save the image or you can scan it
in as text only but you can't do both.

If it was my card, (1) I'd start from scratch and (2) I'd use Publisher
(shoot me, I'm biased).

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Copy and paste the image into a template. But don't be surprised when the
results are .......... well, crappy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

The problem is that she wants to edit the card after it's scanned. I
explained that she can either scan it in as an image but not be able to edit
it or she can scan it in as text but lose the formatting.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Use Tools - Letters and Mailings - Envelopes and Labels - Labels tab.
Click Options, and find the product that matches the blank cards you have
(e.g., Avery 3612, 5371, 5372, etc.).

Leave the Address: field blank, and click New Document. Make sure that
gridlines are displayed (Table - Show Gridlines). Insert the scanned image
of the business card into one of the table cells. Size it so it fits as
you want. Then copy that cell and paste it into each of the other cells.
Then print.

But, as JoAnn says, don't be surprised if the results are crappy. I've
never met a scanned *anything* that was anywhere nearly as good as the
original.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Your only option is to start from scratch. You can use Word but I honestly
do prefer Publisher's ability to lay out things like that. I've never been
able to get Word to cooperate with me when it comes to where I want my
graphics and text to be positioned. (A lot of that is a user issue (BCAK) -
I know that. Publisher just came natural to me.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Copy and paste the image into a template. But don't be surprised when the
results are .......... well, crappy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Jay Freedman

Word uses the label wizard to create business cards. See
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm for info.

If you want to try to use the scanned image, set up a blank table
using the label wizard (this makes the cells of the table match the
labels on the sheet) and then use Insert Picture From File to put
the picture into the first cell. Then copy/paste to the other cells.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Copy and paste the image into a template. But don't be surprised when the
results are .......... well, crappy.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

I didn't pick up that that's what she wanted to do. I thought she was trying
to Copy from a directory listing, then paste into Word, rather than using
Insert - Picture. In any case, hopefully, we've given her enough to work
with.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

That's what I thought at first too but then she mentioned wanting to make
changes. If she does want to create it in Word, you're going to have to help
her. I suck at laying things in Word. :-)

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Actually, it's not a user issue, JoAnn. Stop being self-deprecating and
deprecate Word. Publisher is *designed* to layout graphics. Word is not.
Anytime people need to layout graphics and already have access to Publisher,
it is probably a much better idea to use Publisher.

Look at the tricks Graham had to put together for graphics on labels in
Word:
http://gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

I wouldn't go so far as tell people they need to go out and spend money on
Publisher, but pointing out that it's a much better tool for jobs involving
graphics can be done pretty strongly. You seem to think it needs
apology/mitigating.

PS. I had to google BCAK.

On 9/9/05 7:06 PM, "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Your only option is to start from scratch. You can use Word but I honestly
do prefer Publisher's ability to lay out things like that. I've never been
able to get Word to cooperate with me when it comes to where I want my
graphics and text to be positioned. (A lot of that is a user issue (BCAK) -
I know that. Publisher just came natural to me.)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

So it's NOT just me? I've tried Word with graphics and I struggle. If I move
clipart here, my font goes there, etc. And I always end up back with
Publisher. I like Word, I really do. But for text documents with an
occasional clipart added for fun. Everytime I read about someone who's doing
a newsletter in Word, I want to run screaming, "No, don't do that!".

And Pub isn't that bad - $99. Could be a lot worse. Especially for those
BCAK issues. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/