Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
devrim devrim is offline

Default How do I combine documents with different formats?

Hi, I have 7 documents and I would like to combine them and work on one file.

The problem is they are all in different format and setup, If I try copy and
paste all format changes.

Is there a tool to combine office documents together? I tried MS Binder but
didn't work.

Thx.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Devrim

devrim wrote:
Hi, I have 7 documents and I would like to combine them and work on one file.

The problem is they are all in different format and setup, If I try copy and
paste all format changes.

Yes, that's to be expected: if you are using styles with different
properties in two documents (say, "Normal" has 12pt TNR in one file, but
10pt Arial in the second), and you bring these documents together, the
style from the document you copy from has no impact anymore.

Section properties you can usually preserve by inserting a section break
at the bottom of the document to be copied, but styles are different:
you'd have to rename each style in the document before copying it, and
with many built-in styles, you simply cannot.

In short, your best bet to combine various documents is if all documents
are built from the same document template and use those styles
consistently. If that's not the case, more often than not, you have to
bring the files together as raw text and style them through once.

It's a different matter if you only need to be able to _read_ the
document afterwards -- then conversion to PDF before combining is
recommended.

Is there a tool to combine office documents together? I tried MS Binder but
didn't work.

In what way did it not work?

Greetinx
Robert