Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Default Interrupted numbered list.

Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

The following assumes you clicked the Numbering button in the Paragraph group
on the Home tab and clicked a thumbnail

Insert an empty paragraph. Place the insertion point anywhere within this
paragraph that will be the 2nd item in the list

Press the Numbering button and click the same thumbnail you clicked to start
the list; the list item will be numbered 2. The AutoCorrect options button
that appears also allows you to restart the numbering at one if you desire.

This approach also works with the Multilevel List button.

"johnthebaptist" wrote:

Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

You can also insert a paragraph below a numbered item by pressing
Shift + Enter at the end of the numbered item, type your paragraph,
then Enter to resume numbering.

Cheryl

On Dec 6, 9:17 am, johnthebaptist
wrote:
Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That doesn't actually begin a new paragraph, though: the inserted text is
part of the numbered paragraph. There are instances in which this technique
is suitable, but if a true new paragraph is needed, it doesn't fill the
bill.

The *best* way to handle this is to use numbered and unnumbered styles, such
as List Number and List Continue (or Body Text). For every style in the List
Number series, there is a corresponding List Continue style that has the
same indent (but it is a left indent rather than hanging). You use this when
you want to continue the numbered item. If you want to interrupt the list
with further ordinary body text, then you use the Body Text style. When you
then resume with your List Number style, the numbering will continue
automatically unless you manually restart it.

wrote:
Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to
continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Thanks again, Aeneas.

On Suzanne's tip I entered "List Number" in Word Help followed by clicking
"Bullets, numbers, and lists." Down that page it says that after your
inserted paragraph you just type in the next list number followed by a
period. It worked.

"johnthebaptist" wrote:

Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnthebaptist johnthebaptist is offline

Thank you, Suzanne,

On your tip I entered "List Number" in Word Help followed by clicking

wrote:
Word 2007

I've started a numbered list, inserted a paragraph, and now want to
continue
the list with the next numbered item. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It will work provided you have the relevant AutoFormat As You Type settings
in effect, but it is a risky way to apply numbering. Style-based numbering
will always be more stable, and I recommend using the built-in List Number
styles just because they already give you a head start.