Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
funkychateau

Default Mirrored Gutters in Landscape Mode, for Binding on "Long" Edge

Suzanne,

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this problem? I'm currently
facing the same issue as you discussed here in 2001.

I have an approximately 100-sheet (200-page) book in landscape mode. I
want to bind it along the "long" edge such that the user, when flipping
pages away from him, will first see page 1, then page 2 above page 3,
then page 4 above page 5, etc. So what I need is gutters at the top of
odd pages and at the bottom of even pages.

I can't make Word 2002 accomplish this. It will mirror odd/even
gutters on left/right in landscape mode, but not on top/bottom.

best regards,

Marty Jones

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The problem is not with a landscape book (Word handles that the same as an
entirely portrait book) but with landscape sections in an otherwise portrait
layout. And I have read that there are some interesting NEW problems with
handling of the gutter in Word 2000 (or maybe this was one of the things I
experimented with during the 10 minutes or so that Word 2000 was installed
on my machine g).

Microsoft Word MVP
Words into Type
Fairhope, AL USA

Beth Melton wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

I must confess that I had to locate a landscape book to grasp the full
understanding of the *real* problem. lol

Thanks for the insight Suzanne!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message ...
|The problem is that Word assumes you're going to put the top of all
|landscape pages to the center, that is, on the right side of verso
pages and
|the left side of recto pages. But that's not the conventional
treatment of
|landscape pages in portrait documents; instead, the top is always to
the
|left so that if you rotate the book a quarter turn, you can read
|continuously from top to bottom. Even Word 2000 still doesn't get
this
|right.

|--
|Suzanne S. Barnhill
|Microsoft Word MVP
|Words into Type
|Fairhope, AL USA
|
|Beth Melton wrote in message
| Hi Wayne,
|
| Are you sure that the mirror margins and gutter margins isn't
working
| for Landscape?
|
| I don't have any problem with it. Maybe you can expand on what
isn't
| working.
| ~~~~~~~~~~~
| Beth Melton
| Microsoft Office MVP
|
| Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all
may
| benefit.
|
| Wayne Mery wrote in message ...
| |What are appropriate ways (if any) to do double sided landscape (3
| holed
| |paper) printing and set an appropriate margin on the front and
back
| side
| |of the paper?
| |
| |gutter only works for single sided printing.
| |mirror doesn't seem to do the trick in landscape mode (but does
work
| as
| |advertised for portrait).
| |
| |I'm using word 2000 + win98
| |
| |Hoping the solution is simple. g
| |
| |Thanks
| |Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I believe the suggestion I've made in the past was to handle this using the
"Different odd and even" setting for headers and footers. In this way you
can add extra space to your Even Page Footer and Odd Page Header.

ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The problem is not with a landscape book (Word handles that the same as

an
entirely portrait book) but with landscape sections in an otherwise

portrait
layout. And I have read that there are some interesting NEW problems

with
handling of the gutter in Word 2000 (or maybe this was one of the things

experimented with during the 10 minutes or so that Word 2000 was

installed
on my machine g).

Microsoft Word MVP
Words into Type
Fairhope, AL USA

Beth Melton wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

I must confess that I had to locate a landscape book to grasp the full
understanding of the *real* problem. lol

Thanks for the insight Suzanne!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message ...
|The problem is that Word assumes you're going to put the top of all
|landscape pages to the center, that is, on the right side of verso
pages and
|the left side of recto pages. But that's not the conventional
treatment of
|landscape pages in portrait documents; instead, the top is always to
the
|left so that if you rotate the book a quarter turn, you can read
|continuously from top to bottom. Even Word 2000 still doesn't get
this
|right.

|--
|Suzanne S. Barnhill
|Microsoft Word MVP
|Words into Type
|Fairhope, AL USA
|
|Beth Melton wrote in message
| Hi Wayne,
|
| Are you sure that the mirror margins and gutter margins isn't
working
| for Landscape?
|
| I don't have any problem with it. Maybe you can expand on what
isn't
| working.
| ~~~~~~~~~~~
| Beth Melton
| Microsoft Office MVP
|
| Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all
may
| benefit.
|
| Wayne Mery wrote in message ...
| |What are appropriate ways (if any) to do double sided landscape (3
| holed
| |paper) printing and set an appropriate margin on the front and
back
| side
| |of the paper?
| |
| |gutter only works for single sided printing.
| |mirror doesn't seem to do the trick in landscape mode (but does
work
| as
| |advertised for portrait).
| |
| |I'm using word 2000 + win98
| |
| |Hoping the solution is simple. g
| |
| |Thanks
| |Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martin

I'll test that workaround this weekend and see how it goes. Probably
will have to jack around a little to get the spacings right and the
page numbers located the same on odd/even. Thanks!

Martin

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The problem is not with a landscape book (Word handles that the same as

an
entirely portrait book) but with landscape sections in an otherwise

portrait
layout. And I have read that there are some interesting NEW problems

with
handling of the gutter in Word 2000 (or maybe this was one of the things

experimented with during the 10 minutes or so that Word 2000 was

installed
on my machine g).

Microsoft Word MVP
Words into Type
Fairhope, AL USA

Beth Melton wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

I must confess that I had to locate a landscape book to grasp the full
understanding of the *real* problem. lol

Thanks for the insight Suzanne!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote in message ...
|The problem is that Word assumes you're going to put the top of all
|landscape pages to the center, that is, on the right side of verso
pages and
|the left side of recto pages. But that's not the conventional
treatment of
|landscape pages in portrait documents; instead, the top is always to
the
|left so that if you rotate the book a quarter turn, you can read
|continuously from top to bottom. Even Word 2000 still doesn't get
this
|right.

|--
|Suzanne S. Barnhill
|Microsoft Word MVP
|Words into Type
|Fairhope, AL USA
|
|Beth Melton wrote in message
| Hi Wayne,
|
| Are you sure that the mirror margins and gutter margins isn't
working
| for Landscape?
|
| I don't have any problem with it. Maybe you can expand on what
isn't
| working.
| ~~~~~~~~~~~
| Beth Melton
| Microsoft Office MVP
|
| Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all
may
| benefit.
|
| Wayne Mery wrote in message ...
| |What are appropriate ways (if any) to do double sided landscape (3
| holed
| |paper) printing and set an appropriate margin on the front and
back
| side
| |of the paper?
| |
| |gutter only works for single sided printing.
| |mirror doesn't seem to do the trick in landscape mode (but does
work
| as
| |advertised for portrait).
| |
| |I'm using word 2000 + win98
| |
| |Hoping the solution is simple. g
| |
| |Thanks
| |Wayne

BrianMRhodes BrianMRhodes is offline
Banned

Hey guys, here I am sharing my expereince with the best Gutters and Carpentry service providers. I took help of the services of the professionals from LeafFilter https://www.leaffilter.reviews/review.html to get a new look and transformation of my house. I enjoyed their work very much.