Why does my time stamp change when I reopen my Word document?

Old August 18th 05, 10:10 PM
Teacher In Kansas

Default Why does my time stamp change when I reopen my Word document?

I am a trainer doing observations in teachers' classrooms. When I time stamp
my Word document, and then close it to finish it later, the time stamp
changes from the time when I stamped it, to the current time when I re-open
the document.

How do I contine to work on my Word document I started previously, and keep
the times stamped without updating them to the current time it is when I
re-open the document?
Old August 19th 05, 12:01 AM
Joe McGuire

Not sure what you mean by "time stamp." If you mean you insert a date and
time using Insert, Date & Time, make sure you don't have a check mark in the
block for Update Automatically. For putting dates on documents that are
created from templates inserting a field is usually more efficacious. But
if you actually want to insert the current date and time in a document,
perhaps several different time in the same document (e.g. in a log recording
your observation as a particular time) I don't think fields will be too
useful.

"Teacher In Kansas" Teacher In wrote in
message ...

Old August 19th 05, 05:40 AM
Graham Mayor

You are inserting a date or time field which reflects the system date or
time of the computer. In order to insert fixed times, the simplest method is
to use a macro attached to a keyboard shortcut or to a custom toolbar
button. http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

The following should do the trick

Sub TimeNow()
Selection.InsertBefore Format((Time), "hh:mm am/pm")
End Sub

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Teacher In Kansas wrote:
I am a trainer doing observations in teachers' classrooms. When I
time stamp my Word document, and then close it to finish it later,
the time stamp changes from the time when I stamped it, to the
current time when I re-open the document.

How do I continue to work on my Word document I started previously,