Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susan

Default cell addresses and formula?

I have a table in word which has a couple of columns headers "Number of
hours" and "Tuition". I want to use the number of hours * 4.5 to obtain the
tuition. I can easily do it in Excel =G4*4.5 but I do not understand how
you obtain the proper cell addresses in Word to perform this. The columns
are adjacent so is there another way?

Thanks for information.
Susan
www.esill.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Naming conventions for rows and columns are the same in Word as in Excel,
but the cell addresses can be harder to figure out. To facilitate this, you
may want to download the TableCellHelper macro from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm

"Susan" wrote in message
I have a table in word which has a couple of columns headers "Number of
hours" and "Tuition". I want to use the number of hours * 4.5 to obtain

the
tuition. I can easily do it in Excel =G4*4.5 but I do not understand how
you obtain the proper cell addresses in Word to perform this. The columns
are adjacent so is there another way?

Thanks for information.
Susan
www.esill.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susan

Thank you Suzanne, but now I am having syntax errors.
I tried the =G:7*4.5 and {=G:7*4.5} but that did not work. How do you
perform the calculation for G:7 * 4.5? I am beginning to think I should
convert the document to Excel.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Naming conventions for rows and columns are the same in Word as in Excel,
but the cell addresses can be harder to figure out. To facilitate this,
you
may want to download the TableCellHelper macro from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Susan" wrote in message
I have a table in word which has a couple of columns headers "Number of
hours" and "Tuition". I want to use the number of hours * 4.5 to obtain

the
tuition. I can easily do it in Excel =G4*4.5 but I do not understand how
you obtain the proper cell addresses in Word to perform this. The
columns
are adjacent so is there another way?

Thanks for information.
Susan
www.esill.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susan

I figured it out, macro shows G:7 but really is G7 address. Guess you
cannot copy formula to columns then like in Excel?

"Susan" wrote in message
I have a table in word which has a couple of columns headers "Number of
hours" and "Tuition". I want to use the number of hours * 4.5 to obtain

the
tuition. I can easily do it in Excel =G4*4.5 but I do not understand
how
you obtain the proper cell addresses in Word to perform this. The
columns
are adjacent so is there another way?

Thanks for information.
Susan
www.esill.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

All cell addresses in Word are absolute, so no, you can't copy them to other
cells without modification. If you need to do a lot of such calculations, it
might be more efficient to embed an Excel sheet in the Word doc.

"Susan" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne, but now I am having syntax errors.
I tried the =G:7*4.5 and {=G:7*4.5} but that did not work. How do you
perform the calculation for G:7 * 4.5? I am beginning to think I should
convert the document to Excel.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Naming conventions for rows and columns are the same in Word as in

Excel,
but the cell addresses can be harder to figure out. To facilitate this,
you
may want to download the TableCellHelper macro from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.