Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert T Robert T is offline

Default Copy a Table Formula to Another Cell

Hello:

I've searched everywhere but cannot find the answer to my question. Is there
a way to easily copy a formula in a Word Table, such as =Sum(LEFT), and then
paste the formula into every cell in the same column?

Thanks,
Robert
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Copy a Table Formula to Another Cell

Hi Robert,

Yes, you can easily copy a formula in a Word table and paste it into every cell in the same column. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell that contains the formula you want to copy.
  2. Press Ctrl+C on your keyboard to copy the formula.
  3. Select the entire column where you want to paste the formula.
  4. Right-click on the selected column and choose "Paste Special" from the context menu.
  5. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, select "Formulas" and click "OK".

This will paste the formula into every cell in the selected column. If you want to paste the formula as values instead of formulas, you can choose "Values" instead of "Formulas" in the "Paste Special" dialog box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

After copying, just select the table column and Paste - the formula will be
pasted into each cell in the column. After pasting you may want (with the
column still selected) to press F9 to update all the newly added fields.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Robert T" wrote in message
Hello:

I've searched everywhere but cannot find the answer to my question. Is
there
a way to easily copy a formula in a Word Table, such as =Sum(LEFT), and
then
paste the formula into every cell in the same column?

Thanks,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert T Robert T is offline

Hello Tony:

I posted the question after trying what you described below several times.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, Word copies the RESULTS of the formula as
opposed to copying the formula itself into every cell. For example, if the
formula I want to copy is =Sum(LEFT), instead of copying that, it will copy
the number 47 which is that value in the first cell in the column.

Robert

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

After copying, just select the table column and Paste - the formula will be
pasted into each cell in the column. After pasting you may want (with the
column still selected) to press F9 to update all the newly added fields.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

When first pasted the number, 47 in your example, will appear but if you
then press F9 to update the (new) fields, do you still see 47?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

After copying, just select the table column and Paste - the formula will
be
pasted into each cell in the column. After pasting you may want (with the
column still selected) to press F9 to update all the newly added fields.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert T Robert T is offline

Hello Tony:

I am so stupid! I followed your instructions by copying and pasting a
formula into 3 cells in the same column. All of them showed the number 47 so
I assumed it wasn't working. I forogt to hit the F9 key! Once I did that, it
worked!

Thanks so much and I owe you an apology for failing to carefully follow your
directions.

Thanks a lot,
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

No problem. It's so easy to forget a step in any process - and difficult to
post saying 'did you follow instructions properly' :-) Glad you got it
working.

--
Enjoy,
Tony