rmellison

Default Toggle between CAPS and lower case

Does anyone know of keyboard shortcut or similar to toggle highlighted text
between ALL CAPITALS, all lower case and perhaps Capital First Letter???

Many thanks.
Stefan Blom

Select the text and then, on the Format menu, click Change Case.
Select the desired option, and click OK. Alternatively, try the
Shift+F3 shortcut.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rmellison" wrote in message
Does anyone know of keyboard shortcut or similar to toggle
highlighted text
between ALL CAPITALS, all lower case and perhaps Capital First
Letter???

Many thanks.

Stefan Blom

Glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rmellison" wrote in message
Thanks very much!

"rmellison" wrote in message
Does anyone know of keyboard shortcut or similar to toggle
highlighted text
between ALL CAPITALS, all lower case and perhaps Capital First
Letter???

Many thanks.

Tom

Hi!
I've placed a button in my Format toolbar, and find it quite handy.
I have Word 2002, and I don't know if the following instructions would
apply to other versions.
Right-click anywhere on any toolbar, select 'Commands' tab, 'Format'
Category, scroll down the Commands list to the 'Change Case' items
(there are 2) and drag/drop them onto a toolbar of your choice.
The first command has no button image - this one acts like Shift+F3,
while the one with an image brings up a choice menu.
Copy and paste the image from the second button onto the button that
has no image, delete that second button and select 'Default Style' from
the first button's right-click drop down menu.
That's it, I think - hope it works, if you wanna try it. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sabriye Sabriye is offline

"Tom" wrote:

Hi!
I've placed a button in my Format toolbar, and find it quite handy.
I have Word 2002, and I don't know if the following instructions would
apply to other versions.
Right-click anywhere on any toolbar, select 'Commands' tab, 'Format'
Category, scroll down the Commands list to the 'Change Case' items
(there are 2) and drag/drop them onto a toolbar of your choice.
The first command has no button image - this one acts like Shift+F3,
while the one with an image brings up a choice menu.
Copy and paste the image from the second button onto the button that
has no image, delete that second button and select 'Default Style' from
the first button's right-click drop down menu.
That's it, I think - hope it works, if you wanna try it. :-)

Hi Tom,

I found my problem to be solved in less than a minute thanks to your
explanation. You're the best! Thank you thank you, Sabriye

Although Alt+F3 will do what you want, you might also want to consider that
Ctrl+Shift+A applies the All Caps property, which in many cases is more
appropriate than formatting as UPPERCASE. The difference is as follows:

1. Applying UPPERCASE is the same as typing with Caps Lock on. Word always
sees every letter as capitalized. This property can be applied only by
either typing with Caps Lock on (or Shift depressed) or by using Format |
Change Case to apply it; it cannot be made part of a paragraph or character
style.

2. Applying All Caps doesn't change the underlying text, just causes the
letters to display and print as capitals. Because it is a font property, it
can be made part of a paragraph or character style.

Say you have a heading "The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World." If you
apply the UPPERCASE format to this heading, you will see THE SEVEN WONDERS
OF THE ANCIENT WORLD both in your document and in the TOC. But if you have
included the All Caps property as part of your heading style definition, the
heading will be capitalized in the document but in mixed case in the TOC.
Moreover, if you apply All Caps to the text and then remove the All Caps
property, you will get the title you started with. If you apply UPPERCASE
and then change to Title Case, you will get "The Seven Wonders Of The
Ancient World" (Word capitalizes *every* word), making more work for you.

Typing in All Caps is easier than using Caps Lock, too. If you apply All
Caps and type the heading above, capitalizing normally, you'll still get all
caps (with mixed case underneath); if you type it with Caps Lock on, you'll
either get "tHE sEVEN wONDERS OF THE aNCIENT wORLD" or, with AutoCorrect
enabled, Word will see "tHE" as a mistake and turn Caps Lock off.