Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mitch Mitch is offline

Default How do I get postnet bar code using the mail merge feature?

I can't create a postnet bar code on envelopes when I use the mail merge
feature. I am printing out 100 letters with envelopes and would like to use
the postnet bar code feature on the envelopes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the following information originally posted by regular contributor Peter
Jamieson:

If you are not using postnet barcodes for bulk mailing discounts, the USPS
has an article saying that

"unless you are preparing a mailing for automation rates, you should NOT put
barcodes on the mailpieces. As long as the mailing address is correct, your
mail will still be processed efficiently without a barcode-and
you won't need to worry about having the wrong barcode on your mail."

http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...tsBarcoded.htm

One of the links in the article says that you can't get an automation-rate
discount unless your mailing list has been verified by Coding Accuracy
Support System (CASS) software and you're sending at least 200 or 500 pieces
(depending on the mail class) at one time.

Part of the problem is that the standards for generating barcodes have
changed over the years and Word's feature has not kept up. Microsoft has a
general
article about this he:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290

There's a specific article about the problem with "multi-unit buildings"
he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220548

In other words, if you're using USPS barcodes for bulk mailing discounts,
you have to use a package other than Word. If you aren't, you don't need
them and probably shouldn't use them at all.

Peter Jamieson

Unquote

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mitch" wrote in message
I can't create a postnet bar code on envelopes when I use the mail merge
feature. I am printing out 100 letters with envelopes and would like to
use
the postnet bar code feature on the envelopes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While Doug's answer provides the perceived wisdom relating to bar codes, and
the viability of the codes produced, it is still physically possible to put
postnet barcodes on envelopes by using a barcode field on the envelope, to
create a barcode from the Zip field. You may then have to merge to a new
document and update the fields in order to produce the bar codes in a manner
similar to http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm Whether there is
any point in doing so is something that you should take up with your postal
service.

Mitch wrote:
I can't create a postnet bar code on envelopes when I use the mail
merge feature. I am printing out 100 letters with envelopes and would
like to use the postnet bar code feature on the envelopes.

strawberry strawberry is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I can't create a postnet bar code on envelopes when I use the mail merge
feature. I am printing out 100 letters with envelopes and would like to use
the postnet bar code feature on the envelopes.
We will not be providing the Intelligent Mail Barcode data with our services. We have been waiting while the USPS figured out exactly what they want to do with regards to IMB and POSTNET and when they want to do it.
steps:
download and Install the Encoder and Font
apply for a Mailer Identifier
populate the Barcode Fields
put Everything Together
arronlee arronlee is offline
Junior Member

Hi, strawberry.
As for me, I am testing the related word barcode generator these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? I am totally a green hand on barcode generating field. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron