Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
gail

Default Book Format, Publishing, Typing

I am a novice when it comes to the Microsoft applications. I am trying to
type a book for the first time. I have Microsoft Word 2000. Do I have the
necessary templates or applications to accomplish this? And if so where do I
go. It is going to be a small book, probably pocket size. Help, please.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed O'Brien

Word is ideal for typing manucripts.

First decide the size you want, then go to File/Page Setup and set the page
(Paper) to that size. Set the margins and Layout as you want them I would
suggest ticking "Different first page" so when you add numbers the first
page will be omitted - numbering sarting at '2'.

Type your script and, using Format/Paragraph, set Line spacing, indents etc.
Times New Roman is the most popular font for publishers. However, avoid
going less than 12pt. It may be large for pocket size but preparing for the
print run is a publishers job. Any publisher or agent will want to read it
first and a small font can be bad news.

Don't worry if you get things wrong. You can format everything after the
manuscript is finished, so you have plenty of time to learn and experiment.
Just remember to back up everytime you finish a writing session, or even if
you just stop for a coffee. (Disasters can happen). Ideally, on a floppy or
USB flash drive or even another computer.

Hope this helps.

Ed

"gail" wrote in message
I am a novice when it comes to the Microsoft applications. I am trying to
type a book for the first time. I have Microsoft Word 2000. Do I have
the
necessary templates or applications to accomplish this? And if so where
do I
go. It is going to be a small book, probably pocket size. Help, please.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed O'Brien

Sorry, Gail, I should have said. You can start page numbering on the second
page as No: 1 when you come to inserting numbers. If you have a problem,
come back to me. You can e-mail me personally as well as the NGroup. (Leave
out 'delete' in the address).

Ed