Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Cross references 2007..

I note that once having placed a cross reference in a document, and then add
paragraphs preceeding the reference, the reference is made to that paragraph,
but the paragraph number is not updated.... Thus a reference to ¶3, which
then becomes ¶5, and the reference goes to the correct ¶, but still displays
the old number ..that being ¶3.

So too the reference wants to put two spaces after the reference. This
might be because I have put two following spaces in the defintion of a style
reference. I delete the two spaces, but when the program updates, the spaces
are again inserted.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you select all and hit F9 to Update Fields, the cross-references will
update. They are not quite as automatic as footnotes.

I totally don't understand your second paragraph.

bretsharon wrote:
I note that once having placed a cross reference in a document, and then add
paragraphs preceeding the reference, the reference is made to that paragraph,
but the paragraph number is not updated.... Thus a reference to ¶3, which
then becomes ¶5, and the reference goes to the correct ¶, but still displays
the old number ..that being ¶3.

So too the reference wants to put two spaces after the reference. This
might be because I have put two following spaces in the defintion of a style
reference. I delete the two spaces, but when the program updates, the spaces
are again inserted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

You said: I totally don't understand your second paragraph.--OK, when I make
a reference, and it accepts the reference, it inserts several spaces. So
what I get is "5.1 " rather than "5.1"

My suspicion is that the reference takes the two spaces I have put in the
Description when you use /reference/tiered numbers/modify box.

thanks

bretsharon wrote:
I note that once having placed a cross reference in a document, and then add
paragraphs preceeding the reference, the reference is made to that paragraph,
but the paragraph number is not updated.... Thus a reference to ¶3, which
then becomes ¶5, and the reference goes to the correct ¶, but still displays
the old number ..that being ¶3.

So too the reference wants to put two spaces after the reference. This
might be because I have put two following spaces in the defintion of a style
reference. I delete the two spaces, but when the program updates, the spaces
are again inserted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't know Word 2007 so am not quite sure where you typed those two
spaces--someone else will have to chime in.

You could test the cause of the problem by removing the two spaces and
seeing if the problem stops, in the meantime.

bretsharon wrote:

I note that once having placed a cross reference in a document, and then add
paragraphs preceeding the reference, the reference is made to that paragraph,
but the paragraph number is not updated.... Thus a reference to ¶3, which
then becomes ¶5, and the reference goes to the correct ¶, but still displays
the old number ..that being ¶3.

So too the reference wants to put two spaces after the reference. This
might be because I have put two following spaces in the defintion of a style
reference. I delete the two spaces, but when the program updates, the spaces
are again inserted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

I did test this by removing the spaces, so that was the problem...sorry I
should have done this earlier.