Jeff

Default How to make text flow around an image?

Word 2002:

I have inserted an image in a text document and aligned the image to the
right. That results in a blank empty space on the page left of the image.

How can I make the pre-existing text fit into that space instead of just
continuing below the image as it now does?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Greg

Jeff,

The image is "in line with text"
Click the image, then format picturelayout and set the desired wrap.

Jeff

Thank you. Found it. But still no go.

Under layout, I notice "In line with text" is already selected. When I click
on "Advanced layout", "In line with text" is also selected BUT the "Wrap
Text" is all grayed out as is the Distance from Text section. Don't know
why.

Other suggestions?

--

Greg wrote:
Jeff,

The image is "in line with text"
Click the image, then format picturelayout and set the desired wrap.

Greg

Jeff,

You need to change from "in line with text" wrapping style to "Square"
or "Tight"

What happens when you try to select one of the other wrapping styles?

Jeff

That did it. I thought you meant I should go to "in line with text" - which
it already was. When I switched to square, the wrapping styles become
available.

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

All's well now, except the change made the caption move from its original
position below the image to its present position under the image. Is there
a way to change that? The caption option no longer seems to exist on right
mouse clicking on the image as it had before the change.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff,

You need to change from "in line with text" wrapping style to "Square"
or "Tight"

What happens when you try to select one of the other wrapping styles?

You've now got your image in the drawing layer anchored to the text in the
text layer. If your text is really *under* the image, then it sounds like
you've got the image wrapped In Front of Text rather than Square, or else
you have the caption in a text box behind the image. Obviously, neither will
be satisfactory. Go back and read what I wrote about frames because you
*don't* want your caption in a text box, and that is pretty much the only
option if you wrap text around the graphic.

o.verio.net...

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff,

You need to change from "in line with text" wrapping style to "Square"
or "Tight"

What happens when you try to select one of the other wrapping styles?

Jeff

Hi Suzanne

I misused the word "under". I meant the caption used to be in the bottom
location relative to the image and now it is to the left of the image after
I selected square.

Further, before the change to square, when I right clicked on the image,
"caption" was one of the options that appeared. After I switched to square,
right clicking on the image no longer has caption as an option to select.

P.S. I will read your message about captions next, but I do not have a text
box or frame here. I just inserted the image on the text page, created a
caption, and then changed the image to square which allowed the text to flow
to the left of it, but unfortunately also moved the caption to the left of
the image. I can live with it there though I would prefer it in the bottom
position.

I'll read your captions message next. Perhaps it will help explain.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You've now got your image in the drawing layer anchored to the text in the
text layer. If your text is really *under* the image, then it sounds like
you've got the image wrapped In Front of Text rather than Square, or else
you have the caption in a text box behind the image. Obviously, neither
will
be satisfactory. Go back and read what I wrote about frames because you
*don't* want your caption in a text box, and that is pretty much the only
option if you wrap text around the graphic.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

o.verio.net...

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff,

You need to change from "in line with text" wrapping style to "Square"
or "Tight"

What happens when you try to select one of the other wrapping styles?

Jeff

That did it. Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You've now got your image in the drawing layer anchored to the text in the
text layer. If your text is really *under* the image, then it sounds like
you've got the image wrapped In Front of Text rather than Square, or else
you have the caption in a text box behind the image. Obviously, neither
will
be satisfactory. Go back and read what I wrote about frames because you
*don't* want your caption in a text box, and that is pretty much the only
option if you wrap text around the graphic.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

o.verio.net...

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff,

You need to change from "in line with text" wrapping style to "Square"
or "Tight"

What happens when you try to select one of the other wrapping styles?

Faded Image Behind Text Dennis Hughes Page Layout 5 January 28th 05 07:31 PM
How do you make text wrap in a paragraph? cat 345 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 04:22 PM
How do I get text to flow around a section? ubergoober Page Layout 1 January 3rd 05 05:28 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
how do i adjust text alignment in labels after inserting an image Doug Robbins Microsoft Word Help 2 November 29th 04 10:53 AM