Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Xylophone Xylophone is offline

Default Encryption - password

I generate lots of Word documents, the contents of which are often
confidential. I have thought about encryption, but never got round to
looking into it until recently. TrueCrypt freeware appears to be one of the
best programs (as recommended by the US Government), and
seems straightforward to setup. My problem is the password. I can create
one using
a generator, or make one up myself (it has to be 20 characters long), but I
would
be terrified of losing this, particularly the one created by the generator
as
there is no way I would remember it, at least with my own I have a chance of
doing so. There seems little point in keeping the password on my PC, so I
guess keeping it off the PC is the way to go. I am concerned I might forget
then where I put it. What do you do to create and protect your passwords?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anup Anup is offline

Often, when we get a password which is autogenerated, those are very
complicated. Check whether you are getting any option to change application
generated password. BUT, make sure when you change password, you do not
forget it because Microsoft does not provide any support for breaking
passwords or opening password protected documents.

Check following KB article for more details:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189126/en-us

--
Regards,
Anup

"Xylophone" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

[...]

Why bother with 3rd party crap when you can use XP's native encryption?
Allyou need is a user account only you can access, and to make a "keys"
CD when you encrypt the contents to use in case your disk crashes or you
have to move the files to another hard drive/computer. Windows
encryption is very strong.
Everytime you add another 3rd party app you add another place for
things to get screwed up on the machine.

Encryption Kev Microsoft Word Help 2 November 28th 07 05:13 PM
Advanced encryption in Word 2003 lawtech Microsoft Word Help 0 June 4th 07 04:34 PM
How secure is the encryption - Office 2007 churin New Users 2 May 22nd 07 04:06 PM
Encryption [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 December 17th 06 12:13 PM
Office 2000 Word encryption LMK Microsoft Word Help 1 November 3rd 06 12:28 PM