Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gskywalkers

Default Reduce space between paragraphs

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Aaaagggghhhh!!! Another one!

Let me point you to the book "The PC is Not a Typewriter" by Robin
Williams
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093...lance&n=283155

- Do not use Enter to create space between paragraphs. There are
multiple reasons for this, of which the excessive space is only the
most obvious.

- Do use the "Space Before" or "Space After" settings in the Format
Paragraph dialog to create the space between paragraphs *without* the
extra Enters. For the half-line space you want, 6 points of Space
After is the usual choice.

- Do learn to use styles, and make the paragraph Space settings part
of the style definition. You can have different settings for different
kinds of paragraphs. For example, although you want 6 pt Space After
for Body Text, you may want 12 pt Space Before and 9 pt Space After
for a Heading 1 style. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html and the other
style-related articles on Shauna's web site.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:17:01 -0700, gskywalkers
wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Jay - is there a template for a love note for my husband's lunchbox?

I think Jay is having a rough day. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold
feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

I've taken my meds and I feel much better now. Thank you for your
understanding. g

Have you tried
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...872641033.aspx yet?

Jay

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:50:48 -0400, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
wrote:

Jay - is there a template for a love note for my husband's lunchbox?

I think Jay is having a rough day. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

.. .

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold
feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gskywalkers

Well, unfortunately I am not able to get this space reduced no matter what I
try. I put the 6 pts like you suggested and it makes the space wider yet.

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

That's because you are pressing 'Enter' twice to create the inter paragraph
space. Press it once!

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the
bookfold feature along with "page setup" however, there is too much
space between the paragraphs as well as too much space between the
conversations. As an example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't
seem to find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the
space. I would like this space to be about half of what "enter"
produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gskywalkers

Hi Graham, thanks for your response. I'm not sure that my problem is hitting
enter twice. These documents that I am referring to are a book that has 22
chapters, all of which have been typed using "enter" to create the spacing so
what I was attempting to do was somehow modify the Style so that I could
change an entire chapter all at once. I think because I add 6pts, it just
increases from a single space to a single space plus 6pts. I can get a new
document to work correctly by setting a new style and then typing everything
all over but that would be a ton of work. Any ideas on how to modify the
existing chapters?

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the
bookfold feature along with "page setup" however, there is too much
space between the paragraphs as well as too much space between the
conversations. As an example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't
seem to find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the
space. I would like this space to be about half of what "enter"
produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You may not have pressed 'enter' twice, but whoever wrote the document
appears to have.
Use the replace function to replace
^13{2,}
with
^p
with the 'use wildcards' option checked
This will remove all multiple presses of the enter key (empty paragraphs)
you can then edit the paragraph style(s) to include however much inter
paragraph spacing you want.

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the
bookfold feature along with "page setup" however, there is too
much space between the paragraphs as well as too much space
between the conversations. As an example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't
seem to find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the
space. I would like this space to be about half of what "enter"
produces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

HA HA HA!!!

But is there a template with adult-oriented suggestions that will encourage
him to take the afternoon off? ;-)

--

wrote:

Jay - is there a template for a love note for my husband's lunchbox?

I think Jay is having a rough day. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

. ..

wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 to write a book and using the bookfold
feature
along with "page setup" however, there is too much space between the
paragraphs as well as too much space between the conversations. As an
example:

"How did you find the Microsoft Discussion Group?"
too much space here
"I found it by doing a search."

There is too much space between the above two quotes and I can't seem to
find a way to reduce it. I am using "enter" to create the space. I
would
like this space to be about half of what "enter" produces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gskywalkers

Thanks for your help Graham, I was able to change the whole document to the
spacing I wanted with a couple of clicks using that method. That was exactly
what I was looking for.

Gskywalkers