Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RWild RWild is offline

Default Default Measurement Units Do Not "Take"

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently decided to display
in units of "characters" even though this is not a choice for units and the
default font is NOT a fixed font. Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if I tell Word
to "check for updates," if finds three "required" updates for Word 2000!! - I
am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

See: http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently decided to display
in units of "characters" even though this is not a choice for units and the
default font is NOT a fixed font. Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if I tell Word
to "check for updates," if finds three "required" updates for Word 2000!! - I
am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RWild RWild is offline

THANKS YOU!!

I was going nuts and that fixed it.

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently decided to display
in units of "characters" even though this is not a choice for units and the
default font is NOT a fixed font. Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if I tell Word
to "check for updates," if finds three "required" updates for Word 2000!! - I
am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Glad I could help you!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently decided to display
in units of "characters" even though this is not a choice for units and the
default font is NOT a fixed font. Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if I tell Word
to "check for updates," if finds three "required" updates for Word 2000!! - I
am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pollymary54 Pollymary54 is offline

Default Default Measurement Units have changed to characters overnight!

Carol, have tried everything you suggested on your page, but it didn't work.
I've worked OK, the problem just appeared out of nowhere yesterday. I'm
having to write docs on pub.
--
Pollymary54 from sunny North England

"Carol" wrote:

Glad I could help you!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently decided to display
in units of "characters" even though this is not a choice for units and the
default font is NOT a fixed font. Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if I tell Word
to "check for updates," if finds three "required" updates for Word 2000!! - I
am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Did you specifically do this bit?:-

Press ALT+F11. This opens the macro editor. Press CTRL+G (View Immediate
Window). This provides a 'chat' window in which you can type vba code to be
executed immediately. In that window, type

Options.UseCharacterUnit =False

and press the enter key. This turns off character units. If it still doesn't
work rename the settings sub key of the Word data key in the registry to
oldsettings then restart Word and try it again.
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm shows how to find the data
key.

If necessary, see also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently
decided to display in units of "characters" even though this is
not a choice for units and the default font is NOT a fixed font.
Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect
and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if
I tell Word to "check for updates," if finds three "required"
updates for Word 2000!! - I am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't see how having character units displayed would force Pollymary54 to
use Publisher for documents. I think she has a different problem and thought
she was replying to a different thread.

"RWild" wrote:

Running Word 2003 SP2 on XPPro. My rulers have apparently
decided to display in units of "characters" even though this is
not a choice for units and the default font is NOT a fixed font.
Paragraph formatting is in characters also.

I tried closing Word and deleting normal.dot and doing a "detect
and
repair." Neither fixed the problem. Another wrinkle is that, if
I tell Word to "check for updates," if finds three "required"
updates for Word 2000!! - I am running 2003 SP2.

How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could be right, but there's no accounting for the weirdness of approach
of some users when faced with a problem