Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Drew Drew is offline

Default Printing or repaginating doubles document length

Hi,
(might post this in the wrong place, please correct me if I did)

I have a 180 page word 2003 document with tables and screenshots, toc etc.
In Print Layout view, the document is 180 pages. When I print the document,
it becomes 300+ pages. Same when I change views (say from Print Layout to
Normal view), the document becomes 300 pages.

What is happening, is a few of my tables are getting copied onto every page
(taking up about 1/2 the page) AFTER I do a print or repaginate. I do a undo
to restore the proper layout.

I have tried different drivers / printers and the same issue occures.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

WinXP Pro SP2
Office 2003 SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RHJldw==?=,

I have a 180 page word 2003 document with tables and screenshots, toc etc.
In Print Layout view, the document is 180 pages. When I print the document,
it becomes 300+ pages. Same when I change views (say from Print Layout to
Normal view), the document becomes 300 pages.

What is happening, is a few of my tables are getting copied onto every page
(taking up about 1/2 the page) AFTER I do a print or repaginate. I do a undo
to restore the proper layout.

I've been going past this for a few days now, because no lightbulbs go off.
Today, I did get an idea... This sounds very much as if there may be something
like cross-references in your document that have extended to include tables.
Maybe cross-refs to the captions? If you press Alt+F9 to toggle on the field
codes do you see REF fields where these copied tables show up?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Drew Drew is offline

Thank you for the hint.

I was placing cross-references into the header of the chapter titles. For
some reason (I'm new to that feature), when I placed a header title, the
title and about 3 pages after that title was actually placed into the header.

After deleting about 10 of these incorrect headers, my document was back to
normal. Thanks for the help.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RHJldw==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RHJldw==?=,

I was placing cross-references into the header of the chapter titles. For
some reason (I'm new to that feature), when I placed a header title, the
title and about 3 pages after that title was actually placed into the header.

Happens to all of us, regularly :-)

After deleting about 10 of these incorrect headers, my document was back to
normal.

An alternate method (although not necessarily faster), is to determine the
bookmark name (something like _ref0000000000), find it in the bookmark list, go
to it, mark just the header, then reassign the bookmark.

Alt+F9 turns the field codes on/off so that you can get the bookmark name from
the REF field that manages the cross-reference.

Insert/Bookmark, then click the "Hidden" checkbox a couple of times so that you
can see the bookmarks that start with an underscore.

Find and click on the bookmark in question, then click GoTo. Select just the
text you want to see in the cross-reference. Make sure the bookmark name is
still selected, then click "Add".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

An alternate (possibly more efficient) way of dealing with the bookmarks is
to select just the text you want bookmarked. Then open the Insert Bookmark
dialog. Check the box for "Hidden bookmarks" and select the radio button for
"Location." The bookmark that is highlighted is the one in question. Just
click Add to reassign it to the selected text.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?RHJldw==?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)