Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Marianne Thastrup Marianne Thastrup is offline

Default Can I set my own standard settings for a new table?

When I create a new table I always have to change the settings. Is there any
way that I can change the standard settings, such as margins? I know that I
can select a new standard from the pre-defined tables and also how many
columns and rows a new table should have. But that is not custom made. Any
ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can format an example table with the desired settings and then create an
AutoText entry from it. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoText.htm.

Word 2002 and later also allow you to create your own table styles (Table
AutoFormats), but they tend to be buggy, so you may want to avoid that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Marianne Thastrup" wrote:

When I create a new table I always have to change the settings. Is there any
way that I can change the standard settings, such as margins? I know that I
can select a new standard from the pre-defined tables and also how many
columns and rows a new table should have. But that is not custom made. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Marianne,

You might alsot try creating a table style. Table styles are available in
word 2000-2007. (In 2003, Click on - format menu, Styles and Formating. in
the Task pane, click New Style button select your options.)

Google key word phrase - MVP MS word "table style" will yield losts of table
style tips, tricks, and pans.

MS OFFICE ONLINE
- Create a new table style
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP030766491033.aspx
- Understanding paragraph, character, list, and table styles
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA011876141033.aspx

MVP Shauna Kelly discusses the cons of table styles
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html

--
Tom Conrad

===
"Marianne Thastrup" wrote:

When I create a new table I always have to change the settings. Is there any
way that I can change the standard settings, such as margins? I know that I
can select a new standard from the pre-defined tables and also how many
columns and rows a new table should have. But that is not custom made. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Actually, table styles was introduced in Word 2002 (as I wrote in my previous
message). Also, you may want to take a look at this:

"Marianne Thastrup" wrote:

When I create a new table I always have to change the settings. Is there any
way that I can change the standard settings, such as margins? I know that I
can select a new standard from the pre-defined tables and also how many
columns and rows a new table should have. But that is not custom made. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Marianne Thastrup Marianne Thastrup is offline

I decided to try the AutoText solution - and it works perfectly. Thanks!

Regards
Marianne Thastrup

"Marianne Thastrup" wrote:

When I create a new table I always have to change the settings. Is there any
way that I can change the standard settings, such as margins? I know that I
can select a new standard from the pre-defined tables and also how many
columns and rows a new table should have. But that is not custom made. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.