Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lee Lee is offline

Default mail merge

I am trying to edit a recipient's data using Access as my data source. The
Edit button is greyed out. How do I edit the recipient?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word 2002/2003 will only let you edit recipients in Access tables in the
Edit Recipients dialog box if the Access database has a special structure
that Microsoft calls an "Office Address List". If your Access database isn't
one of those, you have to open Access separately and edit the data in there.
You /may/ be able to "refresh" Word's view of the data in the Edit
Recipients dialog box using the appropriate key.

Peter Jamieson
"Lee" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a recipient's data using Access as my data source. The
Edit button is greyed out. How do I edit the recipient?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lee Lee is offline

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have multiple Access databases I use
for different mail merge letters. One of the Access databases allows me to
edit the recipients list without any problem, the edit button is not grey and
I can edit the address fields without going into Access. The other Access
database will allow me to edit if I open it up via the DDE option. When I do
this, the edit button is no longer grey but it takes me into the Access
database to make edits. Why does one database allow me to edit and not open
the Access database and the other one will not open without using the DDE
option and then it goes into Access?

"Lee" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a recipient's data using Access as my data source. The
Edit button is greyed out. How do I edit the recipient?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Broadly speaking the situation I described earlier is what I've found to be
the case here. If the connection isn't DDE and Word doesn'tthink the
database is an Office Address List then I guess there must be other
circumstances in which the Edit button is enabled, but if so, I don't know
what they are. Could be something to do with exclusive/non-exclusive access?

Peter Jamieson

"Lee" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a recipient's data using Access as my data source.
The
Edit button is greyed out. How do I edit the recipient?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lee Lee is offline

How do you make the Access database an Office Address List? If I were to
start from scratch, how does Word recognize any database as an Office Address
List?

"Lee" wrote in message
I am trying to edit a recipient's data using Access as my data source.
The
Edit button is greyed out. How do I edit the recipient?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word creates .mdb files in OAL format when you create a new recipient list
in Word 2002/2003 mailmerge. Older versions of Word let you create the list
in Word format, text file format, and so on.

OALs ordinary .mdb files with a single table called "Office_Address_List"
and a single query that references it called "Office Address List". Beyond
that, I don't know all the rules that Word uses to identify an OAL, but for
example if you add more than one extra table to an OAL, Word won't recognise
it as an OAL.

Peter Jamieson