Bill

Default In-Progress Save

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill
Daiya Mitchell

See he
http://gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Send To will work just fine. Usually all drives are already on the Send To
menu, but if you don't find the one you want, create a shortcut to that
drive and put it in the Send To folder of Windows at (typically)
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\SENDTO

"Bill" wrote in message
I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save

it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the

important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve

this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Bill

Suzanne,
Send To works to a point. It seems that one must put a complete path into
\documents and settings\username. It does not give you the opportunity to
select a path during the save process (which is what I want to do because I
don't always want the files in the same location). Also, this only works
when you select the command Open then right click on a file name and select
Send To. I think the only way you can affect changes to the File/Send To is
through the tool bar customize feature and I can't figure how to include this
kind of command there.
Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save

it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the

important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve

this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Bill

Daiya,
Please bear with me. I know very little about programming. It appears that
you have solved the problem of the changing default drive. However, it also
appears that the backup location is fixed to one location. I need to be able
to change to a new location during the save process; much like the "Save As"
function does. If I could figure out how to get the "File/Send To" command
to let me enter or browse for a new location, that would work just fine.
Thanks,
Bill

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

It's not my page, and I probably don't know much more about programming than
you. Perhaps Graham Mayor will come along and help, it's his page.
Alternatively, you could take the page and your problem along to a group
with VBA or Programming in the name (but also Word), and ask there. I'm
sure there's a way to adapt the macro to ask you where, but I haven't a clue
how. Or just explain your problem there and perhaps they can help with the
File | Send To approach.

Why do you need to change to a new location during the Save process? How
often are you anticipating changing locations? E.g., let's say you have
access to different network drives depending on your location, you could
duplicate the macro and use a different one depending on place.

Or is it that you want to sort your backups into folders as you are saving
them?

Daiya

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Ah, no, there is no way (short, possibly, of VBA) to add to the options on
the File | Send To menu in Word. But once you have saved the file, you can
use the right-click Send To in the File Open dialog, as you say. And yes,
you do have to have a full path to the desired folder. I use this, for
example, to send copies of frequently updated documents to a folder in one
of my Web sites.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Send To will work just fine. Usually all drives are already on the Send

menu, but if you don't find the one you want, create a shortcut to that
drive and put it in the Send To folder of Windows at (typically)
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\SENDTO

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving

my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to

save
it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the

important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve

this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new

pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Bill

Perhaps my wording was a little misleading. For the documents I'm doing, I
need to save in two locations; once for me on my local drive and once to a
network drive for someone else to access. I also might save more that once
if I'm doing a long editing job. Save As is irritating for this purpose
because it changes the default location along with the save. I've been using
Open|right click on filename|Copy|navigate to save location|Paste. This is
not all that much trouble. I was just looking for something a little
smoother. Thanks for the advice.
Bill

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Daiya Mitchell

Well, now I'm confused. The page I suggested gives you a way to save the
document to 2 separate locations with just one click on a toolbar, as many
times as you want. It sounds as though that *would* meet your needs, so why
didn't the page solve everything? Did you get as far as scrolling down to
the part headed "Save document to two locations"? The page also has a link
to tell you how to use the code. Was it unclear that you can substitute in
your own filepath for the one in the code?

Not that using File | Send To twice wouldn't presumably work equally as
well.

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save
it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the
important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve
this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Bill

Yes. I did scroll down to "Save in Two Locations". Yes. There is a link on
how to use the code. Yes. I understand that I can substitute the pathname I
want. It appears to me (I don't understand programming, as I said) you then
only have one path to use. What, I guess, I didn't make clear is that each
document I do will have a different path to go to. I need to be able to
change it "on the fly". If the program could be revised to have it prompt
for a new pathname and/or allow you to browse for a path location (without
changing your default location), that would make my ears perk up! I would
like something to work exactly like "Save As" only without changing the
default drive (I guess I would have saved a lot of time and typing if I had
said it that way in the first place).
Thanks,
Bill

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After saving my
document on my local drive, what is the quickest and easiest way to save
it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is the
important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To" might serve
this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a new pathname.
Thanks, Bill

Daiya Mitchell

Yes. I did scroll down to "Save in Two Locations". Yes. There is a link on
how to use the code. Yes. I understand that I can substitute the pathname I
want. It appears to me (I don't understand programming, as I said) you then
only have one path to use.

Yes, it would always be to the same backup location. Or if you rotated
among 3 backup locations, you could use 3 separate version of the macro.

What, I guess, I didn't make clear is that each
document I do will have a different path to go to.

Nope, that wasn't clear. Well it was, then you appeared to retract it.

I need to be able to
change it "on the fly". If the program could be revised to have it prompt
for a new pathname and/or allow you to browse for a path location (without
changing your default location), that would make my ears perk up!

Oh it certainly *can* be changed, there just aren't many programming experts
in this group to tell you how to do it. But as I said befo

Alternatively, you could take the page and your problem along to a group
with VBA or Programming in the name (but also Word), and ask there. I'm
sure there's a way to adapt the macro to ask you where, but I haven't a
clue
how. Or just explain your problem there and perhaps they can help with the
File | Send To approach.

Preferably, ask here, which is the beginning programming group:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...aspx?dg=micros
oft.public.word.vba.beginners

Good luck.

DM

Graham Mayor

The original macro saves the document in the location it was opened from (or
if it hasn't previously been saved it will prompt for a filename and
location). The backup location is the path defined in the macro. It should
not be too difficult to arrange a secondary prompt for the backup path eg

Sub SaveToTwoLocations()
Dim strFileA As String
Dim strFileB As String
Dim strFileC As String
Dim strPathA As String
Dim StrPathB As String

ActiveDocument.Save
strFileA = ActiveDocument.Name
With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
strPathA = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With
StrPathB = Mid$(strPathA, 2, (Len(strPathA) - 2))
strFileB = StrPathB & "Backup of " & strFileA
strFileC = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=strFileB
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=strFileC
End Sub

This saves the document in the current folder and provides an opportunity to
choose the secondary folder.
Don't use the macro to save to removable media!

Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is the
most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard disc
and work on the document from there. This is equally relevant to other
removable media such as CDRW.

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After
saving my document on my local drive, what is the quickest and
easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is
the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To"
might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a
new pathname. Thanks, Bill

Bill

Graham,
I've got this all copied and I'll try learn or find someone that knows what
to do with it. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Bill

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm