Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

Default Font Pali Times Ameco

I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use this
special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog. Click More, then Format, then Font and
choose the desired font to search for. Leave the "Find what" box empty.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
news
I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use this
special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 2, 7:21*am, Pietro wrote:
I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use this
special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

Thank you.
In my Word Office I hasn't Pali Times Ameco and I Installed it later.
I followed the hints but I can't write the word with special typeface.
My steps: Find Dialog, More, Format. Then I can take the typeface Pali Times
Ameco but I can't choose the Font.
If I choose Pali Times Ameco as typeface it's the same because I can't write
the word exactly.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog. Click More, then Format, then Font and
choose the desired font to search for. Leave the "Find what" box empty.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
news
I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use this
special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the font is installed (in the Windows Fonts folder), and the active
printer is one that is capable of printing, you should be able to select it
in any Font dialog or dropdown. Can you see it in the Symbol dialog (Insert

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just googled the font name (it would be useful to have a font for
the standard Buddhist canon!), and the only relevant results are this
thread and another one in an Italian-language newsgroup asking the
same question. I wonder if something has gotten renamed somewhere
along the way.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message

I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see the same thing you do. So I reduced the search to "Pali Times" and
found http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp_pali.htm, which lists Pali Palatino and
also a Palimacro.zip file (either of which might be relevant).

Then I tried "Pali Ameco" and got directed to
http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys4/skedamar.htm, which doesn't seem to have
the text quoted in the Google search results (an A.M.E.C.O. Foundation and
reference to "Pali and English chanting"); there are evidently also several
companies named Ameco, at least one of them in China ("Times Ameco" brings
up a lot of those).

Combining "font" with any of these searches just keeps hitting the same
Italian thread about Pali Times Ameco.

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message
I just googled the font name (it would be useful to have a font for
the standard Buddhist canon!), and the only relevant results are this
thread and another one in an Italian-language newsgroup asking the
same question. I wonder if something has gotten renamed somewhere
along the way.

On Jan 2, 12:56 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If the font is installed (in the Windows Fonts folder), and the active
printer is one that is capable of printing it, you should be able to

"Pietro" wrote in message

I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From where did you obtain this font? I can find no on-line references to it
other than your questions about it.
Word will only display fonts that the currently active printer is capable of
printing. Screen fonts and badly formed printer fonts will not be available.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog. Click More, then Format, then Font
and choose the desired font to search for. Leave the "Find what" box
empty.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
news
I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use
this special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

Thanks for your time.
The Font is in Windows Fonts Folder and I can print a document with this
special typefaces. I can add Symbol as you said and this surprised me for I
posted my question here.
Maybe I was unclear.
In a Word Page if I want to put a special typeface from Pali Times Ameco I
choose the typeface and then I have to use a special combination of keys.
Ctrl+ or Ctrl+Alt+.
When I want to find a word with this typefaces I don't know how I have to
write this character in the Find Box.
I followed your hints but If I follow Find-More-Format I can change the
typeface but I don't know how I can insert the special typefaces.
Please, help me!

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

Indeed the info about this Font are so rare.
I posted the same question in Italian Discussion.
What can I do it?
thanks!

"Pietro" wrote in message

I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

From he
http://hal9000.cisi.unito.it/wf/DIPA...-di2/index.htm
I can print pages with this character.

From where did you obtain this font? I can find no on-line references to it

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog. Click More, then Format, then Font
and choose the desired font to search for. Leave the "Find what" box
empty.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
news I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use
this special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK I downloaded and installed all four versions of the font (standard,
italic, bold and bold italic) which appear to be a normal truetype font very
similar in appearance to Cambria, indistinguishable from Time New Roman at
normal magnification and behaves as you might expect.
It appears as a usable font in Word 2007, and works normally in the find
dialog (CTRL+F) when applied to the searched text.
What *exactly* is it that you are unable to do with this font - list the
steps.

Pietro wrote:
From he
http://hal9000.cisi.unito.it/wf/DIPA...-di2/index.htm
I can print pages with this character.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From where did you obtain this font? I can find no on-line
references to it other than your questions about it.

"Pietro" wrote in message
news I installed Pali Times Ameco Font on Word Office 2007.
If I want to search a word with this special typeface I can't use
this special typefaces on Modify-Search.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be able to use the same keyboard shortcuts in the Find dialog. Or
you can copy a character and paste it into the Find dialog using Ctrl+V. Or
you can get the Unicode number of the character by selecting it and pressing
Alt+X (Alt+X again to toggle back) or by selecting it and going to the
Symbol dialog, where it will be selected, and noting the Unicode number. You
can then use this in the Find dialog by entering ^uxxxx (though I find that
this doesn't always work).

http://word.mvps.org

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The poster who uses the screen name "grammatim" has contacted me and asked
me to post the following information:

"I downloaded the font from the website provided, and it turns out that it's
a very old, pre-Unicode transliteration font, presumably used (only) at the
University of Turin, with accented letters placed in fairly arbitrary cells
of the old extended ASCII group of characters (0-255) -- it contains no Pali
characters at all.

"I strongly urge Pietro to use the accented letters built into any of the
standard Windows fonts, such as Times New Roman, so that his work will be
portable to other people's computers."

http://word.mvps.org

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

Thank you.
Indeed I had a problem to show my pages to anynone.
How Can I use Times New Roman to apply special typefaces?

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pietro Pietro is offline

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
With Ctrl+V I can copy the word and then in Find Box I find the word that I
wanted.
But in the Find Box the typefaces are so different. They are the typefaces
appearing with Times New Roman.
I'm interesting to solve my problems with pali and sanskrit characters in
roman translation, as "grammatim" said to you. How Can I do?Thanks!

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll have to let grammatim answer your question, as I don't know the answer.
BTW, I found that the the ^unnnn requires the decimal number of the
character rather than hexadecimal, and that is more difficult to find, so
directly pasting in is the best solution.

http://word.mvps.org

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find
box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either
as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z,
and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Go to Insert Symbol. Set the font to Times New Roman (or Arial
Unicode, or Tahoma, ...) in the drop-down at the upper left. Then, in
the upper right, go to Latin-Extended A, where you will find vowels
with macrons (long marks), and two of the Sanskrit s-symbols. Go to
Latin Extended Additional (much farther down in the list), and you
will find all the dotted letters you need.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to each of the accented letters you
need -- be sure to do it systematically so that you can remember the
keystrokes. There's a button for that at the lower left of the Insert
Symbol panel.

For instance, for all letters with macron, I use Ctrl-Alt-hyphen
followed by the letter, and for all underdotted letters I use Ctrl-Alt-
period followed by the letter. (Capital and lower-case for each one.)

And then, you need to convince your professors at Turin to enter the
21st century, and abandon the old Pali Times Ameco font!

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You use Times New Roman for special _characters_ (or many other fonts
that also have them -- after you have typed your text, you can try
changing the font to see if the letters you have used are included in
the font you change to)

For typing special _type faces_ -- I suppose you need to use
Devanagari -- for just a few letters, you can still use Insert Symbol;
just go to the Devanagari section. I don't remember whether Times New
Roman includes it, but Arial Unicode does.

But it would be better to turn on typing in Sanskrit on your computer.
Go to Start Control Panel Regional and Language Options, the
Language tab, and (XP) you add a "language" or (Vista) you add a
"keyboard."

After you do that, you;ll have a "language bar" at the bottom right of
your screen, which is simply an icon with two letters -- mine says EN,
yours probably says IT. Click on that and choose Sanskrit.

To see the keyboard you are now using, go to Start All Programs
Accessories Accessibility and chools "On-Screen Keyboard." Then put
your cursor in a document where you have changed to Sanskrit, and move
your cursor over the on-screen keyboard -- and it shows you what the
keys now do. You can type on your keyboard, or you can click on the on-
screen keyboard. (The aspirated letters are mostly Shift, and to make
a conjunct, type the first consonant, then the Virama key, which is d,
then the second consonant.)

Your Windows/Word is probably in Italian, but you'll be able to figure
it out!

http://word.mvps.org

"Pietro" wrote in message
I can't paste it in the Find box.
In Format I can't choose the Font.
What can I do?
Thanks!

You can Copy the word you're looking for (if necessary, type it in
your document, copy it, and delete it) and Paste it into the Find box.
If the script is one encoded in Unicode, you probably won't need to
specify the font, but if it's Pali specifically, it's coded either as
some other Indic script, or in the Private Use Area, or as a-zA-Z, and
you should also choose the font as Suzanne explained.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

My web page http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm shows how to
obtain the appropriate decimal number, but as you say pasting should work.