Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tinkerbell0810

Default product key

i just receieved a new computer and when I tried to boot up Microsoft Office,
it asked for a product key. I put the one in on the back of my computer, and
it said it wasn't acceptable. I called tech support for my computer, they
gave me one, and it still didn't work. I need a product key...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

That number on the tower is for Windows, not Office. Look at the label - it
will say Windows. Your computer is prompting you for the product key for
Office. A trial version of Office is usually preinstalled on new computers.
I don't know if the trial version has a product key.

If you need Office, buy it. Not an upgrade - you need full version unless
you have a qualifying product.
(http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;832288)

(I've uninstalled the trial versions of Office on every system I've set up.
They either had a full version or weren't using Office. I don't know what it
asks for when it's first fired up.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tinkerbell0810" wrote in message
i just receieved a new computer and when I tried to boot up Microsoft
Office,
it asked for a product key. I put the one in on the back of my computer,
and
it said it wasn't acceptable. I called tech support for my computer, they
gave me one, and it still didn't work. I need a product key...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what JoAnn said, the product key will be on the CD case containing
the Office CD or the Certificate of Authenticity that accompanies it. If
this is a trial version, the key will have been supplied somewhere in the
material that came from the computer vendor.

"tinkerbell0810" wrote in message
i just receieved a new computer and when I tried to boot up Microsoft

Office,
it asked for a product key. I put the one in on the back of my computer,

and
it said it wasn't acceptable. I called tech support for my computer, they
gave me one, and it still didn't work. I need a product key...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Thank you again. Like I said, I uninstalled that trial version ASAP. I'd
read too many less than favorable things about it and since I am their "tech
support", I didn't want my friends/family to be calling me all of the time.
(Yes, I had ulterior motives. Shoot me.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To add to what JoAnn said, the product key will be on the CD case
containing
the Office CD or the Certificate of Authenticity that accompanies it. If
this is a trial version, the key will have been supplied somewhere in the
material that came from the computer vendor.

so
all may benefit.

"tinkerbell0810" wrote in
message

product key Boss18 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 14th 05 06:31 AM
Activate product wizard wont start up. Soph Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 05 12:19 AM
Update problem Roy Smith New Users 2 October 12th 05 10:47 PM
Conversion from trial to full product Lolly Microsoft Word Help 1 September 15th 05 12:56 AM
How do I reinstall a product without the product id? Karen Microsoft Word Help 1 February 11th 05 04:34 AM