dnelson

Default How do I get word to make hyperlinks that work

For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the url
from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically converted
into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check the
link, I control click on the link and get the following error message

Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get word to make hyperlinks that work

It sounds like the issue may be with the hyperlink formatting in your Word document. Here are some steps you can try to ensure that your hyperlinks work properly:
  1. Highlight the text that you want to turn into a hyperlink.
  2. Right-click on the highlighted text and select "Hyperlink" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Insert Hyperlink" window that appears, make sure that the "Address" field contains the correct URL for the website you want to link to.
  4. If the URL is correct, click "OK" to create the hyperlink.
  5. To test the hyperlink, hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and click on the hyperlink. This should open the website in your default web browser.

If you're still having trouble with the hyperlink, you may want to try copying and pasting the URL directly into the "Address" field in the "Insert Hyperlink" window, rather than relying on Word to automatically format the hyperlink for you. You can also try reformatting the hyperlink by removing any extra spaces or characters that may be causing issues.
__________________
Charles Kenyon

Because you are not connected to the Internet.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"dnelson" wrote in message
For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the url
from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically converted
into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check the
link, I control click on the link and get the following error message

Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Try right-clicking on your hyperlink. Where is it looking for that URL?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dnelson" wrote in message
For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the url
from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically converted
into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check the
link, I control click on the link and get the following error message

Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?

Amedee Van Gasse

Charles Kenyon shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Because you are not connected to the Internet.

ASCII good question, get bad ANSI.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet
explorer and it goes directly there).

Check the properties of the hyperlink (right click)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

TF

Just as a test, try selecting and copying the URL from IE, then in Word use
Insert, Hyperlink (Ctrl+K) and paste the URL into the URL box (note: you
have to use the keyboard). Does that work?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.
:
: The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
: and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?

dnelson1

I tried your test. I copied the URL to Google from IE
(http://www.google.com). Didn't use the parenthesis. In a new word document,
I used Crtl+K and pasted the URL into the Address: box. Then I Crtl+click and
got same error message. I then went to right click on the hyperlink and chose
edit hyperlink. Typed google's URL directly in the address: box. checked to
see if it worked, no luck. Any other ideas?
dnelson

"dnelson" wrote in message
: For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
: hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the url
: from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically converted
: into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check the
: link, I control click on the link and get the following error message
:
: Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.
:
: The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
: and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?

dnelson1

Amedee,
I right clicked on the hyperlink to google, and chose open hyperlink and got
same error message. So, I tried right click, edit hyperlink and pasted the
URL directly from IE, no luck when I checked to see if it worked. I tried
edit hyperlink and directly typed the URL in, no luck. Any other ideas?

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

Charles Kenyon shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Because you are not connected to the Internet.

ASCII good question, get bad ANSI.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet
explorer and it goes directly there).

Check the properties of the hyperlink (right click)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

dnelson1

When I go to edit hyperlink I have the following:
Link to: Existing File or Web Page
Text to Display: Google
Address: http://www.google.com/

I do not change or select anything in the Look in:
since I don't want to look for the link on my computer but the internet

Do you see if I did anything wrong or missing?

"dnelson" wrote in message
For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the url
from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically converted
into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check the
link, I control click on the link and get the following error message

Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy server.

The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet explorer
and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?

TF

Weird. I'm thinking about this...

tf

: "TF" wrote:
:
: Just as a test, try selecting and copying the URL from IE, then in Word
use
: Insert, Hyperlink (Ctrl+K) and paste the URL into the URL box (note: you
: have to use the keyboard). Does that work?
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "dnelson" wrote in message
: ...
: : For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
: : hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the
url
: : from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically
converted
: : into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check
the
: : link, I control click on the link and get the following error message
: :
: : Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy
server.
: :
: : The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet
explorer
: : and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?
:
:
:

TF

Well I really have no idea what is happening here. You may have to call
Microsoft and bug this issue. I've certainly not seen this particular
problem (though there are other issues with hyperlinks in 2003).

Terry

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: Weird. I'm thinking about this...
:
: tf
:
: "dnelson1" wrote in message
: ...
::I tried your test. I copied the URL to Google from IE
:: (http://www.google.com). Didn't use the parenthesis. In a new word
: document,
:: I used Crtl+K and pasted the URL into the Address: box. Then I Crtl+click
: and
:: got same error message. I then went to right click on the hyperlink and
: chose
:: edit hyperlink. Typed google's URL directly in the address: box. checked
:: see if it worked, no luck. Any other ideas?
:: dnelson
::
:: "TF" wrote:
::
:: Just as a test, try selecting and copying the URL from IE, then in Word
: use
:: Insert, Hyperlink (Ctrl+K) and paste the URL into the URL box (note:
you
:: have to use the keyboard). Does that work?
::
:: --
:: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
:: http://word.mvps.org/
::
:: "dnelson" wrote in message
:: ...
:: : For a class I'm taking I have to create a word document that contains
:: : hyperlinks to different web pages(hotlist). When I copy and paste the
: url
:: : from internet explorerinto the word document it is automatically
: converted
:: : into a hyperlink (underlined and blue). So far so good. Now to check
: the
:: : link, I control click on the link and get the following error message
:: :
:: : Unable to open (site name). Cannot locate internet server or proxy
: server.
:: :
:: : The URL is correctly entered (I just paste it back into internet
: explorer
:: : and it goes directly there). So why can't word find the web site?
::
::
::
:
:

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi D.,

Are you using a Firewall product? If so, does
it have Word set up as allowed to access the Internet?
If not, you'll get that message.

Compare your firewall settings for Excel and Word.

=====
"dnelson1" wrote in message ...
What is even more confusing is that I opened Excel and placed a hyperlink for
google in a cell and it worked fine
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

dnelson1

Thanks Bob,
That was what was causing the error message. For some reason McAfee firewall
decided to block Word but not Excel (I never set the block). After unblocking
word, it works. Thanks again!

"dnelson1" wrote in message ...
What is even more confusing is that I opened Excel and placed a hyperlink for
google in a cell and it worked fine
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

KerriK KerriK is offline
Junior Member

I am also having the same problem as the OP, but none of the solutions have been working. I have word 2010, and created an ebook from this same file several years ago where the links worked just fine, but now they don't. So, I am well aware of how to make proper links, but they are not working. The links are also not 'live' on the pdf file made from this word doc either.

Another strange thing is that I have grammarly, and the word plug in is also not working, and grammarly cannot figure out why. My word is up to date, I'm connected to the internet, I checked with the firewall turned off and it won't work, etc. etc. ANd yes, when I right click and check the link under 'edit link', it shows the link being there.

Any ideas?

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
What is the difference between Word Perfect and Microsoft Word, a. Jan New Users 4 March 31st 05 09:41 PM
creating forms Fluffypink Microsoft Word Help 4 March 9th 05 05:17 PM
Boiletplates from Word Perfect linda Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 06:37 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM