Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Deejay Deejay is offline

Default Subparagraph numbering: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on

Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For Word 2003, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

If you are using Word 2007, post back.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote in message
Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Deejay Deejay is offline

Thank you. Sorry I should have said I am using Word 2007.

I am also struggling to format the numbers in an existing document so that
subparagraphs change automatically depending on the main paragraph number.

"Deejay" wrote in message
Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The quick way to set up such a numbering scheme in Word 2007 with heading
paragraph styles is to click the Home tab of the ribbon, click Multilevel
List, and then choose the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3"
format, found under "List Library."

If this isn't a simple case of "legal" heading numbering, do the following
instead: Click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Word
displays a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List of Word
2003; in the dialog box, you can define all aspects of numbering
(number format, indentation, linked paragraph styles, etc.). For more, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

To modify a numbering scheme that was created with one of the above methods,
you would place the insertion point in the first top level item of the list,
and click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote in message
Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so
on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment.
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number
changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy Cindy is offline

Word 2007 - I wish this post had been here back in January! It took lots of
creative manipulation but I managed to create Styles called Level 1, Level 2
and Level 3 with this same numbering format. They each have their own format
specific to how we want them presented on the report. I redefined these
Styles so they show on the top row of the Styles List. Then I saved this in
the Quick Style Set. The problem I am having is Level 3 in the Quick Style
will not save the "no indent" setting. I have to reset it each time I use
the Quick Style. Any suggestions? Also, can this numbering format be
created and incorporated into One Quick Style?

"Deejay" wrote:

Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, you cannot have the numbering in a single Quick Style; numbering must be
set up with one paragraph style for each *level* of numbering. (What you can
do is have a so-called list style as a "wrapper" around the numbering
scheme, but note that list styles cannot be Quick Styles.)

As far as indentation is concerned, be sure to set the indentation within
the numbering options, that is, set the indentation for the list levels, not
for individual paragraph styles; that usually does the trick (although list
indentation should be more stable in Word 2007 than it was in earlier
versions).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote:

Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so
on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy Cindy is offline

Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate your quick response and
expertise. I am still having an issue with the indentation on Level 3. I
looked within the numbering options and "left" is chosen. There are no
indentations in the tabs either. Could you possibly give me a guided tour
through where I should go? Would it be easier to establish a new Level 3
Quickstyle from scratch?
Your knowledge is most appreciated and I thank you again!

"Deejay" wrote:

Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so
on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number changes.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You may have to click the More button in the multilevel numbering dialog box
to see all options. To learn how indentation is applied to numbering levels,
see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

In order to set a paragraph style as a quick style, use the Modify Style
dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Deejay" wrote:

Hi, how do I cause subparagraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2 and so on for
subparagraphs of parargraph 1, 2.1, 2.2 for subs of paragraph 2 and so
on?

I would like them to be so numbered so that if I press tab on the
paragraph
after 2 it should be become 2.1 instead of a. as it does at the
moment. I
also want the para number to update if the main paragraph number
changes.

Many thanks.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Subparagraph numbering: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on

To create subparagraph numbering in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Select the paragraph(s) you want to apply the subparagraph numbering to.
  2. Go to the Home tab and click on the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group.
  3. Choose the option "Define New Multilevel List" at the bottom of the list.
  4. In the dialog box that appears, you can customize the numbering format for each level. For example, for Level 1, you can choose "1, 2, 3..." and for Level 2, you can choose "1.1, 1.2, 1.3...".
  5. Make sure to check the box "Legal style numbering" to ensure that the numbering updates correctly if the main paragraph number changes.
  6. Click OK to apply the multilevel list to your selected paragraphs.

Now, when you press Tab after a main paragraph, it should automatically create a subparagraph with the correct numbering format. If you change the main paragraph number, the subparagraph numbering should update accordingly.