Mark60

Default This modification is not allowed because the document is locked

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked" - I keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003 files or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without problems until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Is this a trial version of Word? It sounds as tho your time to use it for
free is up.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked" - I keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003 files or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Choose Help - Activate Product. What does it tell you there?

Note that trial versions *do* ship preinstalled on computers (trial version
of Office Standard came on two laptops we bought this summer), and expire (I
believe) something like 90 days after first use.

Non-trial Office goes into limited-functionality mode after 50 uses (I
beleive) if not activated.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked" - I
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003 files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all
appears? At the very least, you should see a box that says it's already been
activated. If nothing at all happens, that suggests a serious installation
issue. Have you already tried Help - Dectect and Repair?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked" -
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003
files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without
problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Mark60

I can confirm that nothing appears when trying Help - Activate Product. No
box or anything. I tried Help- Detect and Repair which reinstalled Office.
However, the problem remains and I keep getting the same message as first
mentioned.

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked" -
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003
files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without
problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

My next guess would be corrupted registry entries or a corrupted normal.dot
(or possibly a different template is corrupted, but given the symtoms, that
seems less likely).

Have you tried the suggestions shown here yet:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
"Mark60" wrote in message
I can confirm that nothing appears when trying Help - Activate Product. No
box or anything. I tried Help- Detect and Repair which reinstalled Office.
However, the problem remains and I keep getting the same message as first
mentioned.

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is
locked" -
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003
files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without
problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Mark60

Tried all three suggestions at the site you mentioned but none worked. Took
the final solution of uninstalling Word 2003 by uninstalling Microsoft Office
2003. However, the manufacturer (Mesh Computers) who had installed Office
2003 after the hard disk crash three months ago had not left the CD behind.
So I reinstalled Word 2002 which was originally supplied with the computer
(not the full Office suite)
and Word is now working fine. Perhaps in the end it was a trial version of
Office 2003 but the manufacturer forgot to tell me.

Many thanks for all your suggestions!

"Mark60" wrote in message
I can confirm that nothing appears when trying Help - Activate Product. No
box or anything. I tried Help- Detect and Repair which reinstalled Office.
However, the problem remains and I keep getting the same message as first
mentioned.

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is
locked" -
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003
files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without
problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ReV VAdAUL

I am facing very similar problems, I bought my computer from MESH about two
months ago and chose to recieve Office Proffesional Edition 2003 with it as
an upgrade.
Word, but none of the other office applications, is locked and when I try to
activate windows via the help menu nothing appears just as in Mark60's case,
in fact my problems are virtually identical to his. I have tried all the
suggestions listed thus far to no success and also uninstalled and
reinstalled office from the disk provided with the computer similarly with no
luck.

I would be greatful for any assistance.

"Mark60" wrote in message
I can confirm that nothing appears when trying Help - Activate Product. No
box or anything. I tried Help- Detect and Repair which reinstalled Office.
However, the problem remains and I keep getting the same message as first
mentioned.

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all

"Mark60" wrote in message
"This modification is not allowed because the document is
locked" -
keep
getting this message when I try to enter text into new Word 2003
files
or
modify existing ones. I have checked that my copy of Word 2003 is
activated
(nothing happens when I check). I have been using it without
problems
until
now. I would be very grateful for your answers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Givenup

Success!! Mesh Computers sent me what they called an "Office Fix" file that
first had to be downloaded to the desktop. Then I had to uninstall Office.
Then I ran their fix file. Then reinstalled Office. Hey presto the
activation worked.

"Mark60" wrote in message
I can confirm that nothing appears when trying Help - Activate Product. No
box or anything. I tried Help- Detect and Repair which reinstalled Office.
However, the problem remains and I keep getting the same message as first
mentioned.

From Word's menu, when you choose Help - Activate Product, nothing at all