Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cycling Dude

Default Applying custom template to an existing document

I have a large Word document that is generated by a another application. I
have setup a custom template with the formatting I want. When I apply the
custom template to the document, some, but not all of the formatting works.
For example, the Normal style in the custom template is Times New Roman 11
pt. After applying the template to the document, Normal becomes Helvetica 10
pt. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Windows XP Pro - SP2, Office Pro 2003.

Bob Boller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q3ljbGluZyBEdWRl?=,

I have a large Word document that is generated by a another application. I
have setup a custom template with the formatting I want. When I apply the
custom template to the document, some, but not all of the formatting works.
For example, the Normal style in the custom template is Times New Roman 11
pt. After applying the template to the document, Normal becomes Helvetica 10
pt. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Windows XP Pro - SP2, Office Pro 2003.

HOW are you "applying the template to the document"? Please list the exact
steps you're following.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cycling Dude

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q3ljbGluZyBEdWRl?=,

I have a large Word document that is generated by a another application. I
have setup a custom template with the formatting I want. When I apply the
custom template to the document, some, but not all of the formatting works.
For example, the Normal style in the custom template is Times New Roman 11
pt. After applying the template to the document, Normal becomes Helvetica 10
pt. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Windows XP Pro - SP2, Office Pro 2003.

HOW are you "applying the template to the document"? Please list the exact
steps you're following.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

1. Open the Word doc

2. Select Tools Templates and Add-Ins
3. The Templates and Add-Ins dialog opens
4. Click Attach
5. An Open File dialog opens
6. Navigate to and select the dot file.
7. Click Open on the Open File dialog
8. On the Templates and Add-Ins dialog, check the Automatically Update
Document Styles check box
9. Click OK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q3ljbGluZyBEdWRl?=,

OK, no clues there, that's how I'd go about it...

The next thing I'd check is Tools/Options/Compatibility in the document.
Specifically, I'd see whether Helvetica is being substituted for Times New Roman.

When you say the document is being generated by another application, do you mean
something like WordPerfect? I'm wondering if we could be looking at a result of some
file conversion?

If what you mean is, program code is automating Word to generate this document,
which version of Word?

And finally, do you see this issue on more than on machine?

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cycling Dude

Cindy - Well, contrary to all of the documentation, if I place my custom
template file in Word's default location for templates, everything seems to
work fine.

To answer your questions, there are no font substitutions.

The application that is generating the Word doc is called RoboHelp. It is a
tool for authoring on-line help. Each individual help topic is a stored in a
separate html file. Using RoboHelp, you can organizie the topics into a table
of contents. Then there is a feature that will generate the Word doc based on
the TOC. RoboHelp uses cascading style sheets, so in the setup for the
document generation, there is a translation from the styles in the cascading
style sheets to the styles in the Word template file. To do this, you point
the document generator to the Word template file. If I have the template file
in the help project folder, then there is trouble. If I place the template
file in Word's default location, then everything seems to work OK.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob Boller

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A template *should* be placed in the template folder designated for user
templates on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options (the folder where
Normal.dot is stored). Where I would not expect it to work is in the folder
where Word's built-in templates are stored.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cycling Dude

Suzanne - Sorry, my description wasn't clear. I am now putting the template
file in the folder pointed to by User Templates in File Locations.

Bob Boller

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Precisely my point; you said, "contrary to all of the documentation, if I
place my custom template file in Word's default location for templates,
everything seems to work fine." I'm not sure what documentation this is
contrary to, since this is SOP.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A template *should* be placed in the template folder designated for user
templates on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options (the folder where
Normal.dot is stored). Where I would not expect it to work is in the

folder
where Word's built-in templates are stored.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.