Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Adam Adam is offline

Default How to remove frames while maintain the document format?

Hi WORD Expert,

I have a WORD document exported from Crystal Report, the document looks
normal when you open it up. However, when you click on the text such as:

contract name: ABC
or
contractor: AAA corporation

You can clearly see a frame around the text. I can edit in each frame.
Howerver, I have a hard time moving them around or add a new line under it.
It behaves like a word template, but not 100%. When I right click on the
frame and click "remove frame", those text surrounded by that frame
automatically jump to the top left corner of the document. It seems that
frame define those text location.

I want to edit this document freely like a normal word document. What steps
or configuration I need to do to achieve that.

Thanks,

-adam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Adam:

Export it from Crystal Reports in HTML, not Word Document format (or RTF).

Crystal Reports does not understand Word formatting and is trying to
replicate it with floating text boxes. It's a really stupid way to do
things, and results in a document you can't edit.

Export the thing as Plaint Text or HTML, then format it properly when you
get it into Word.

Word formatting is based on Styles. Styles are named collections of
formatting properties. Look them up in the Word help.

You can adjust the report in Crystal to add the style names to the front of
each paragraph in preparation. Then simply and automatically format the
document when you get it into Word.

But first you have to get it out of Crystal without the frames :-)

Cheers

On 18/10/06 11:55 PM, in article
, "adam"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410