JimS

Default Page Change numbers in footer

I am looking for a way to add unique page change numbers in a footer that
consists of pages all in one section. Some pages need to be tagged "change
1", others "change 2", and so on.
I've seen an example of different text in headers and footers using fields
such as seq, but this requires "reading" some text that is already on the
current page. I need to add a unique change number on each page of the
document in the footer only. I don't want to use bookmarks, because they can
be too easily deleted.
Surely this is not an unusual request, so I'm hoping someone has an elegant
solution!
Thanks,
Jim S.
Stefan Blom

Have you considered using text boxes? For each page, you would have to
create a border-less text box, anchor it to the top paragraph, and drag
it below the bottom margin (so it seems to be in the footer). Type the
required data into each text box.

For more ways to insert text in the margin, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JimS" wrote in message
[...]

JimS

Thanks, Stefan, but I tried this. It works well to use text boxes or frames
for this purpose, but once someone inserts additional text on the page, the
anchor to the text box or frame may move to the next page, thereby moving the
frame or text box to the next page. I need it to "anchor" itself to the page
it is created on. Even if I select "Relative to" for both horizontal and
vertical position and deselect the "Move with text" checkbox, the text box or
frame will move to the next page as explained above.

"JimS" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

A different approach is to insert a section break at the end of each
page. That way, you can anchor the text box to the header paragraph, and
it will definitely not move. Note, however, that the section breaks will
"isolate" the pages; you can't get text to flow from one section to the
next.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP