How do I use word field when field is sometimes blank?

Old October 18th 05, 10:05 PM
CJW

Default How do I use word field when field is sometimes blank?

I am doing merge letters and need to know what I do when one of the fields is
sometimes null.
Old October 18th 05, 10:29 PM
Jezebel

You don't normally need to do anything. By default, Word ignores empty
fields.

Old October 19th 05, 04:22 AM
Graham Mayor

It is not usually the empty field that is the problem but the associated
spaces. You may need to place the field and its associated space or line
feed conditionally eg

{IF {Mergefield fieldname} "" "{Mergefield fieldname} "}
or
{IF {Mergefield fieldname} "" "{Mergefield fieldname}
"}

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com