Default Word 2003

How to override the track changes default?

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

" wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Is it possible to turn it off so that it does not track any revisions and
comments at all?

To clean up every file by accepting or rejecting all revision marks and
deleting all comments is a waste of time. The feature may be useful, but the
user should be able to decide when to use it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

" wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Track Changes is not enabled by default in any version of Word. If it is
turned on for a specific document, then it is because you or the document
creator turned it on.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on

the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

mommahinc

I've tried this add in and it won't install because it wants me to choose
"enable macros" in the installing process. I am unable to "enable macros"
because that choice is not available disable macros is the only choice I'm
given.
A.Hinc

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If clearing the "Show task pane at startup" box has not worked for you, you
need the Task Pane Controller add-in from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm

"ron clifton" ron wrote in message
How can I remove "TASK PANE" from WORD 2003. Every time I remove, it

returns
with reopening- I want to remove it!!!!

CarolChris

If it is not enabled by default, why then does a form created in an earlier
version of Word and protected as a form (not for tracked changes) open in
Word 2003 displaying the tracked changes? It seems that Word 2003 thinks the
form is protected for tracked changes. My company recently updated to Office
2003, and this issue with forms has been a major complaint from many users.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the options on

the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Margaret Aldis

You are confusing several different issues here.

'Protecting for tracked changes' is a setting that locks the document so
that changes are tracked and the user can't turn it off from the toolbar. It
isn't the same as just having tracked changes set 'on' (so any changes are
marked), nor is it the same as having changes (insertions and deletions)
showing up in the document.

Word 2003 will by default open documents in the 'Final showing mark-up' view
if there are tracked changes in the document (whether or not tracking is
currently on, whether or not document is protected for tracking). If
documents created in earlier versions of Word open like this, then it is
because you were (perhaps inadvertently) tracking changes at some time in
the past, and you have never accepted/rejected those changes. Word 2003 has
a new view default here, but it doesn't turn tracking (or protection) on and
it certainly can't generate revisions that weren't already in the document!
I assume the idea of the new view default was to alert people to the
revisions stored in their document to avoid embarrassment, though from the
posts here it often seems to ensure that Word 2003 recipients see changes
Word 2002 senders had forgotten about without even trying to snoop g.

The only way of removing changes in documents is to accept or reject the
changes. But if all you want to do is clean out the revision marking,
without any backtracking of the changes you've made, you just turn off
tracking (if it's still on) and 'Accept all changes' (available on the
dropdown menu beside the Accept Change button) - you don't have to accept
each change individually. You can *view* the document without the changes by
choosing Final without Markup, but that will leave the changes in the file,
and they will be visible on opening.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Brian

So what you are saying is there is no way to open a document and NOT SHOW
MARKUP?

This question has been posted on here about 5 times and every time the
question is not answered. I do not really care if past versions had it on or
not I just want to open a document and see the document not all past
versions. The reason this is so aggravating is in my job we reuse old word
doc's for YEARS we have some (while showing markup) going back to 96. I do
not like having the inconvenience of having to hit view and unclick Markup.

Can you set up a MACRO to do it since no one else can figure how to turn a
default setting off?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"
wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better way).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Brian

That might work "if I WANT word to track my changes" You are sugusting a fix
that is not addressing the problem.

I want to be able to open a document that had been modified in the past and
NOT, I repeat NOT see the changes.

It is something to do with Microsoft Word not the document because if I open
the document turn off markup close the document (With a save) and try to
re-open the document IT SILL SHOWS THE MARKUP.(I am not trying to yell just
show emphasis)

Has anyone (who is offering sujestions) tried opening an old document, that
has been re worded a few times, to see what I am talking about?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Jay Freedman

Hi Brian,

Did you try Suzanne's suggestion #1? That will do what you're asking
for -- the tracked changes will still be in the document but not made
visible by reopening.

The point of having that option checked is so you don't accidentally
send someone a document with sensitive tracked changes in it (e.g.,
you wrote something calling your boss a jackass, then deleted it, but
the recipient can see it). If you have the display of markup
permanently turned off, it's too easy to forget that stuff is there.
When you're in hot water, just don't blame Microsoft for it. ;-)

Another point that seems to have been missed is that you wouldn't have
this problem at all if you used templates and the File New command
instead of re-using old documents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

I think you're still missing the point. If the document had been modified in
the past without Track Changes turned on, these changes would not be
displayed. But you can still remove the markup by selecting Accept All
Changes in Document on the menu you get when you click beside Accept Change
on the Reviewing toolbar. The only way to be sure of not seeing markup is to
remove it by accepting the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at

the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Brian

I am sorry I didnt mean to come off like an a$$ hole.

I can assure you that I have done the suggestion and the problem has not
been fixed. Everytime I open a document it will show me what the document
used to be.

As far as just making new ones. I know that sounds like the logical choice
and I do do that now but these letter that I deal with are all from Years
before my time so I had no control over them being created or re-used.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at

the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message
How to override the track changes default?

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible" check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing a
previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes) or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going on.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked

at
the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message
How to override the track changes default?

Daiya Mitchell

So how do you expect her to email you? Does she somehow have your address? I
think if you click on her name on the website, you will find her email,
already "out in the open."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible" check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing a
previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes) or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going on.

Graham Mayor

Suzanne doesn't work for Microsoft. Like all the rest of us who contribute
here, she is a user prepared to offer her time and expertise for the benefit
of others. See http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/About

Microsoft does not habitually monitor this group and its records are not
available to contributors. Indeed, there is no need to register to access
the newsgroup server directly.

Suzanne has offered to view your document. Whether or not you want to take
up that offer is a matter for you, but to take up that offer you will have
to mail it to her. Don't post it to this newsgroup.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup
visible" check box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me
what the document used to be"? In other words, are you actually
seeing markup, or are you seeing a previous version? I'm wondering
if the document was saved using versions or if perhaps the markup
was created manually (not using Track Changes) or if there could
be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom of this,
perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going on.

Daiya Mitchell

Graham's link didn't work for me. Try this one:
http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/index.htm

Also recognize that this is not a self-contained forum on the website. That
website is just one way to access *some* of the *thousands* of groups that
MS hosts on their news server, and people worldwide can connect to the news
server and never go near that website. MS just asks for your email to let
you use the website version to access the newsgroups, it doesn't really have
much to do with the newsgroups directly other than maintaining the
technology.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

On 2/19/05 1:55 AM, "Graham Mayor" wrote:

Suzanne doesn't work for Microsoft. Like all the rest of us who contribute
here, she is a user prepared to offer her time and expertise for the benefit
of others. See http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/About

Microsoft does not habitually monitor this group and its records are not
available to contributors. Indeed, there is no need to register to access
the newsgroup server directly.

Suzanne has offered to view your document. Whether or not you want to take
up that offer is a matter for you, but to take up that offer you will have
to mail it to her. Don't post it to this newsgroup.

D Robinson

There is no "Accept all Changes" option on my copy of MS Word 2003, SP1. I
right click on a change and it has options: "accept deletion" or "reject
deletion". It does NOT have "accept change". I cannot find ANY option
anywhere that says "accept all changes." This is truly a huge pain in the
butt.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"
wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Margaret Aldis

If you read what I said about 'Accept All Changes' below you'll see that the
'Accept AllChanges' option is available **from the dropdown menu beside the
Accept Change button on the Reviewing toolbar**. (The right click menu is a
context-specific menu that relates to the current selection - so it's not
really surprising that it offers accept/reject on the currently selected
deletion or insertion rather than a document-wide function.)

I'm sure the relative invisibility of this essential command is responsible
for a lot of the current annoyance over revisions. It's obvious that users
just don't 'get' the dropdown arrow beside a clickable button - it regularly
gets missed in 'Insert' dialogs too, so people think they have no 'link to
file' option any more sigh.

--

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Syntagma partnership site:
http://www.syntagma.co.uk

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Jay Freedman

One step at a time:

- If the Reviewing toolbar isn't visible, go to the View menu, click
Toolbars, and check Reviewing.
- On the Reviewing toolbar, from the left, the items are (1) a dropdown
selecting what's visible -- should be "Final Showing Markup"; (2) a Show
button; (3) a Previous button; (4) a Next button; and then you get to (5) an
Accept Change button. This one has a black triangle pointing down; click
that triangle to get a little menu.
- The last item on that menu is "Accept All Changes in Document". That's
what Margaret referred to.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote in message
How to override the track changes default?

Since I could never understand what the problem was and since Brian never
sent me a sample document, there was no further development. But I don't see
how you can tell that you're having "the same problem," since I never could

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible"

check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document

used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing

previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using

versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes)

or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom

of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going

on.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news I am sorry I didnt mean to come off like an a$$ hole.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you

looked
at
the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups
newsgroup so

bill saunders

I have read and tried all suggested solutions and nothing works; can anyone
offer real help please?
What's the problem. I have a draft (WORD 2003) document with many changes. I
save the document in "Final" format and send it by email to a dozen
recipients. Th email recipients receives it in "Final Showing Markup" format.
Many don't like this format and phone me asking what are all these red lines,
comments, balloons, etc. I explain.
What do I want? I want to keep my one document with all changes in for my
use only. (ie. I do not want to accept/reject changes until I have feedback
from email recipients). I want email recipients to receive a user-friendly
documents (in "Final" format).
What solutions did I try? I disabled the Tools/Options/Security tab of
"make hidden mark-up visisble when opening or saving". This never changed a
thing!! Please help!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Jay Freedman

Obviously you did not try "all the suggested solutions".

Clearing the checkbox affects only the display on your own computer.
Your recipients will still have the box checked, so they will see your
revisions **because they are still in the document they received**.

Use Suzanne's second suggestion. Since you want a copy with the
revisions still in it, **make a copy**. Accept or reject all the
changes in one copy, and send only that copy to the other people. Keep
the other copy, with the revisions untouched, only on your computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better way).

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

bill saunders

Thank you Jay for your suggestion; I know you are trying to help. What you
have indicated is a "workaround" involving duplicating files. I knew about
workarounds, but I don't consider them real solutions. WORD 2003 still forces
me "accept or reject" changes prematurely, if I want to my readers to get a
certain display. This would be fine if we're talking about a simple 2-page
memo going to a couple of people. But my document is 30,000 words going to a
dozen people with 4-5 iterations for consulting. The process of managing
document flow and revisions is complex enough, without have to duplicate
files simply because there's no technical solution...only manual workarounds.
Guess that will have to do until MS take note! Thanks all the same.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message
How to override the track changes default?

Mark

I too believe I am having a similar issue. I would like to save a file with
the track changes still within the document, but not visible to others that I
send the file too. I have turned off the "Make hidden markup visible when
opening or saving" in the options/security box. I then turned off all of the
boxes in the "Show" dropdown. I saved the file. I then reopen it and all of
the boxes in the "Show drop down are back on and the comments and changes are
visible again. Is this normal or should this process actually make the
changes invisible within the document? I understand that I can save a file
after I accept all changes, but I prefer that I did not have to duplicate the
document. If this process is supposed to work, is there a problem with the
program? Thank you for any response to this issue.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Mark wrote:
I too believe I am having a similar issue. I would like to save a
file with the track changes still within the document, but not
visible to others that I send the file too. I have turned off the
"Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" in the
options/security box. I then turned off all of the boxes in the
"Show" dropdown. I saved the file. I then reopen it and all of the
boxes in the "Show drop down are back on and the comments and changes
are visible again. Is this normal or should this process actually
make the changes invisible within the document? I understand that I
can save a file after I accept all changes, but I prefer that I did
not have to duplicate the document. If this process is supposed to
work, is there a problem with the program? Thank you for any response
to this issue.

Hi Mark,

There is no problem with the program. It's working as designed.

If you want to keep the markup for yourself, but you don't want others to
see it, then you *must* make a copy of the document and accept all changes
in that copy before sending it out. There is no way to send a document
containing hidden changes that can't be displayed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

To add to what Jay has said, you need to be aware that, regardless of your
settings, if you send a document containing markup, that markup *will* be
displayed if the recipient has "Make hidden markup..." enabled. As Jay
pointed out, the only way to ensure that markup will not be seen is to
remove it.

That said, however, if you have "Make hidden markup visible..." disabled,
then I would regard it as a bug if Word opens a document containing tracked
changes in a view showing markup.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Rugbyveteran

Suzanne, All,

I have similar issues. What my problem is, I have documents that are older.
They have been updated several times by different people. They are
controlled company documents with sensitive information in them. I am now
reviewing these documents and finding all the mark ups. I have tried your
suggestions to accept or reject them, however, I don't have the ability to do
that. Word doesn't have the accept or reject buttons highlighted to allow me
to actually accept them or reject them. Is it because they are old and had
been saved into the document with being accepted or rejected first?

How can a user, new to the document, open the doc, highlight all the mark
ups and make a decision on them? Or, if the document is old and wasn't saved
properly, are the mark ups there forever?

What has to happen is, the documents need to exist with no mark ups at all
in them. They need to be clean and professional.

Thanks,

Dave

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Greg

RV,

The accept and reject changes icons remained dimmed in track changes is
still enabled. Ensure that that changes is disabled and see if that
brings the icons to life. If not, and it you have actual revision
objects in the document you might try the following macro:

Sub Test()
Dim oRev As Revision
For Each oRev In ActiveDocument.Revisions
oRev.Range.Select
If MsgBox("Do you want to accept this revision?" _
, vbYesNo, "Review") = vbYes Then
oRev.Accept
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Else
oRev.Reject
End If
Next
End Sub

Have you tried clicking the arrow beside the Accept Change button and
choosing Accept All Changes in Document? Similarly, the Reject Change/Delete
Comment menu includes Delete All Comments in Document. Make sure you have
all these types of markup displayed on the Show menu.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Rugbyveteran

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried to use the arrows, the drop downs, the
buttons, etc. Nothing. I don't get it. I saw another post on a macro, but
that is way out of my league.

I have so many of these documents to go through, I would hate to have to
start from scratch.

Any other ideas? Have you tried it? Take a document and make changes to it
and save it without accepting or rejecting them. Then, open it up again and
don't make any changes and see if you can accept or reject what has already
been changed. That is pretty much where I am at.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can open the document without showing markup in

two
ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible
when
opening
or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the
dangerous
way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the

better
way).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all

follow-ups
newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patty M

I don't know if you have your answer - if you have a document that was
created in a previous version of word and had tracked changes turned on at
some point, then when you open that document in Word 2003, you need to go to
Tools, track changes, accept all changes, save the document and you will not
have any problems after that. If you don't accept all changes then the red
line changes will show up every time the document is opened. hope this helps.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"
wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MariaMM

Thank you for your response. I was confused, and now I am more clear on this
process.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the

options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"
wrote in
message ...
How to override the track changes default?

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 09:09 PM
word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Acrobat writer 5.0 Compatibility with word 2003 Norman Marshall Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 12:12 PM