Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeannie Jeannie is offline

Default Inserting pages in document being indexed

I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at the end
the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply continue on
indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked Mark All. The index
is not taking on the new pages. urgent help needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the {INDEX}
field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
--
Jeannie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The "Mark All" option applies only to "all occurrences that are in the file
right now", not to "all occurrences that may be added in the future". You're
going to have to mark the entries in the new pages as if those terms were
never marked at all.

There's some confusion (Microsoft's fault!) about Show/Hide vs. field codes.
For most fields, including the INDEX field, Show/Hide has no effect at all
on whether you see field codes or field results. For that you use Alt+F9
(for the whole document) or Shift+F9 or the right-click/Toggle Field Codes
command (for a single field). The index-marking (XE) fields and the
table-of-contents-marking (TC) fields are different -- they're formatted as
Hidden text, so Show/Hide does control them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeannie Jeannie is offline

Many thanks for this. I assume that your advice would be to insert all the
chapters into the document so that the Mark All command works through to the
end of the document.
Also, Alt+F9 is not working to reveal the index field code. I've used the
InsertReferenceIndex and TablesIndex tab to insert the Index so that I can
keep tabs on what I have. Should I be doing something in ToolsOptions to
enable Alt+F9 ?
I appreciate your help--Window's Help was not really extracting me from my
predicament and I was getting fairly desperate.
Jeannie
--
Jeannie

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, if you're relying on Mark All, you should have all the text
present at one time. The alternative is to mark individual items as
you write. That usually produces a better index, anyway -- people
don't want to wade through 20 references to a term to find the one
where it's defined.

The Alt+F9 keystroke is supposed to toggle *all* field codes in the
document. As a test, use Insert Field to insert something simple,
like a Page field, in the first line of the document. Does Alt+F9
toggle that? If not, the keystroke may have become unassigned. If
that's the case, you can reassign it -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm.

The other way to toggle all field codes is to go to Tools Options
View and check/uncheck the Field Codes box.

One other "too obvious" question: Can you see the index that should be
the result of the Index field?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify what Jay is saying, Alt+F9 will toggle display of the INDEX field
but not the index entry (XE) fields, which are toggled with the Show/Hide
button because they are formatted as Hidden text. There is nothing to see
other than the field code (the "field result" is invisible), so toggling
from code to result would be pointless, which makes the toggling of
hidden/displayed more logical. The same is true of TC fields used to create
a TOC.

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeannie Jeannie is offline

Again, my many thanks for your inputs, Jay and Suzanne.
My show/hide button works: when pressed, it reveals all the XE fields.
Alt+F9 reveals {INDEX}. I clicked on Insert.Reference.Index & TablesIndex
and the index result was inserted at the end of my doc where I had specified.
Two more questions:
1) Why, when show/hide is on, are some of the paragraph marks in blue or red
and some of the XE field codes are in red also?
2) Some items in the index result are bold though I didn't specify that and
they were not in bold in the text of the document.
I very much appreciate your help,
Jeannie
--
Jeannie

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide, the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have Track Changes enabled, that could account for the colors. If you
have applied direct formatting to text in your document, an XE field
inserted in that text will pick up the formatting (you need to remove it
from the field).

Jeannie wrote:
I was indexing the first chapter of a manuscript. I then

inserted at
the end the next part of the chapter and i want the index to

simply
continue on indexing the new pages. Most of my entries I've

marked
Mark All. The index is not taking on the new pages. urgent help
needed.
Also, when I display the field codes by clicking on Show/Hide,

the
{INDEX} field does not show.
I'm using Word 2003, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
srack srack is offline

Jeannie: I am taking on a manuscript project for the first time, with some
reservation. I would certainly appreciate communicating w/you about your
strategies. I realize this is a crunch time for you or you wouldn't be
posting. If you are so inclined at a less demanding moment, my email is:

Susan