Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digitig digitig is offline

Default Where is the word count tool?

"Older Than You" wrote:

Oh great, I guess we are supposed to be mind-readers and just know all this.

"Could you provide some steps to reproduce the behavior?"

To be fair, I'm quite glad that Microsoft can't see everything I'm typing in
my word processor. I do like /some/ degree of privacy!

Isn't MS supposed to be telling US where these behaviors are? Didn't
someone test this before releasing it? Why to users have to point out the
problems?

But I guess if there is no regard for the amount of lost productivity caused
by someone in MS not having anything better to do than completely change the
UI, there certainly is no interest in telling customers how the new UI
actually works (when it does).

Well, I loathe the new UI with a vengeance, especially the way common hot
key sequences are really long (altEF replaced with altHFDF, and try
getting to custom document properties just using the keyboard!) whilst rare
actions have really short sequences (altPH for hyphenation settings and
altPJ to set the columns -- both things that I do once and for all in the
document template), and the way I keep having to switch between ribbon tabs
when on previous version I could have left all the relevant toolbars open for
the task I was performing (when I'm putting a series of figures drawn in a
different tool into a document, I hate the way the crop icon goes away when I
add a caption -- I reckon it pretty much doubles the distance the mouse has
to travel to do the job).

But for all that, when I had trouble with word count I came here and found
that the function I was used to was still available and still worked as it
should, so credit to Microsoft for leaving it in. And when I come here with
what is effectively a bug report, what on earth do you expect /any/
responsible company to do other than ask for the steps to repeat the
behaviour?