Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tjsmags tjsmags is offline

Default Can you add/multiply using Word?

I want to create a Hot Lunch form for our school. Students will order x
amount of hot dogs multiplied by $x.xx (price) equalling the total amount due
($x.xx). Is this possible? Do I create this in table format, or does it
matter?
--
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To perform (simple) calculations in table cells, you can make use of formula fields, which can be added via Table Tools Layout tab |
Formula (Word 2007) or via Table | Formula (Word 97-2003). You refer to cells the same way as in an Excel spreadsheet, that is, by
using letters for columns and numbers for rows.

If you change the numbers in the cell, you will have to update the formula fields: select the cells and press F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tjsmags" wrote in message ...
I want to create a Hot Lunch form for our school. Students will order x
amount of hot dogs multiplied by $x.xx (price) equalling the total amount due
($x.xx). Is this possible? Do I create this in table format, or does it
matter?
--
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That doesn't sound a very healthy diet for school kids, but you can also
achieve this with a protected form and a calculated form field. Check the
calculate on exit check box of the contributing fields to update the
calculation.

Even more elegant, you could employ a userform to collect the choices and
enter the results in the document - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ -
Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm

"tjsmags" wrote in message
I want to create a Hot Lunch form for our school. Students will order x
amount of hot dogs multiplied by $x.xx (price) equalling the total amount
due
($x.xx). Is this possible? Do I create this in table format, or does it
matter?
--
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shane Carpenter Shane Carpenter is offline

You can do this by doing it two ways depending if this is a one time deal or
you want to edit it in the future.

One Time: just type =9*9 and push enter and it will put 81 in the box.

Edit in Futu Name a excel box price and another quantity. Then in the
third you type =price*quantity. It will then change the total every time you
modify.

"tjsmags" wrote:

I want to create a Hot Lunch form for our school. Students will order x
amount of hot dogs multiplied by $x.xx (price) equalling the total amount due
($x.xx). Is this possible? Do I create this in table format, or does it
matter?
--
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that in Word you will have to do this in the Formula dialog box (or the
Field dialog box inserting a formula field).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Shane Carpenter" wrote in