Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ovalet ovalet is offline

Default any feature that can automatically update my content page with page numbers

hi,

i have created a long word doc with index of pages in the content table. can
i know if there is any feature that can automatically update my content page
with page numbers when a section(a few pages) is removed?

thank in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

ovalet wrote in

hi,

i have created a long word doc with index of pages in the content
table. can i know if there is any feature that can automatically
update my content page with page numbers when a section(a few pages)
is removed?

thank in advance!

Do you mean something more sophisticated than highlighting the table of
contents, right clicking and selecting "Update Field" or using the "Update
TOC" on the Outlining toolbar?

If you're wanting an auto-update - without intervention from you - as pages
are removed, I think you're in the realms of macros that may be more trouble
than they're worth for that function.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I get the impression that you have *manually* typed what you are calling a
Table of Content, in which case there is nothing Word can do to update it
for you - at least not without a fair degree of complexity. IMHO, you'd be
far better off to review the following pages and reconstruct your TOC
accordingly.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/index.htm

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"ovalet" wrote in message
hi,

i have created a long word doc with index of pages in the content table.
can i know if there is any feature that can automatically update my
content page with page numbers when a section(a few pages) is removed?

thank in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ovalet ovalet is offline

hi,all,thanks. I am trying to add captions to the list of pictures then
create the TOC.
How about no captions and just list the pictures in my TOC? Do you have any
good recommendation? many thanks.

"ovalet" wrote in message
hi,

i have created a long word doc with index of pages in the content table.
can i know if there is any feature that can automatically update my
content page with page numbers when a section(a few pages) is removed?

thank in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

According to most sources, figures should be listed separately in a Table of
Figures, not listed in the TOC. Word also has the ability to do the Captions
& include them in a TOF that updates on demand just like a TOC. Have a look
in Word Help at the topic Create a Table of Figures... it also provides info
on using Captions.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones