Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elbadry elbadry is offline

Default Cross Referencing a reference?!

I am making a technical document where I need to insert references (
references to papers / books I used ). How can I use the cross referencing
feature to refer to those documents within the text?

To make myself clear, here is an example of what I need to make:

" This was explained in [1],[2]"

i should have a reference at the end of the document which is smthg like this:
"
[1] reference 1
[2] reference 2
"

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

These are footnotes or endnotes depending whether you want them at the end
of the page or the end of the document.

elbadry wrote:
I am making a technical document where I need to insert references (
references to papers / books I used ). How can I use the cross
referencing feature to refer to those documents within the text?

To make myself clear, here is an example of what I need to make:

" This was explained in [1],[2]"

i should have a reference at the end of the document which is smthg
like this: "
[1] reference 1
[2] reference 2
"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elbadry elbadry is offline

Thanks for the reply.

I think endnotes may do but I still have a problem. When I choose endnote,
word creates an footnote-like border at the end of the page. This is not what
I need. I need the reference to be written as normal text ( not as a page
footer )

Thanks

elbadry wrote:
I am making a technical document where I need to insert references (
references to papers / books I used ). How can I use the cross
referencing feature to refer to those documents within the text?

To make myself clear, here is an example of what I need to make:

" This was explained in [1],[2]"

i should have a reference at the end of the document which is smthg
like this: "
[1] reference 1
[2] reference 2
"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you've chosen endnotes, then you shouldn't be getting notes at the bottom
of the page, except at the end of a section if you've chosen to put them at
the ends of sections, and in that case they should still be starting
directly below the text. Wherever they are, however, you can modify the
Endnote Separator (and particularly the Endnote Continuation Separator,
which you'll want to lose entirely). For more on all these issues, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaq.htm.

elbadry wrote:
I am making a technical document where I need to insert references (
references to papers / books I used ). How can I use the cross
referencing feature to refer to those documents within the text?

To make myself clear, here is an example of what I need to make:

" This was explained in [1],[2]"

i should have a reference at the end of the document which is smthg
like this: "
[1] reference 1
[2] reference 2
"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elbadry elbadry is offline

This was exactly what I wanted

Thanks for the great help

elbadry wrote:
I am making a technical document where I need to insert references (
references to papers / books I used ). How can I use the cross
referencing feature to refer to those documents within the text?

To make myself clear, here is an example of what I need to make:

" This was explained in [1],[2]"

i should have a reference at the end of the document which is smthg
like this: "
[1] reference 1
[2] reference 2
"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi elbadry,

I think what you're looking for is the NOTEREF field, which is designed to cross-reference footnotes and endnotes. You'll find it
under Insert|Field.

Cheers
--
macropod