Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel H Rachel H is offline

Default ~$file ?

I have a new computer at work with Word 2002. When I first open a saved
document, everything looks fine. If I leave that document open, and go to
open a new document, I see a file at the top of the list with ~$ and the
document name that I have open. This has not happened before. How do I turn
that off, so it will not do it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Rachel,

Word always creates that file -- it's one of the standard temporary files,
as explained in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632. You see it now
but never saw it before because your new computer has a different setting in
Windows Explorer.

The best course is simply to ignore the temporary files. If it really
bothers you to see them, you can turn off the setting as follows:

- Open Windows Explorer (also known as My Computer, as if you were 4 years
old grin).
- Click Tools Folder Options.
- Click the View tab.
- Click "Do not show hidden files and folders".
- Click OK.

Sometimes you do want hidden files and folders to show. For example, if you
need to look for a template file when Word is closed, you need to look in a
folder several levels under the hidden folder C:\Documents and
Settings\your name\Application Data. You can change the setting in Windows
Explorer back and forth whenever necessary.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Rachel H wrote:
I have a new computer at work with Word 2002. When I first open a
saved document, everything looks fine. If I leave that document
open, and go to open a new document, I see a file at the top of the
list with ~$ and the document name that I have open. This has not
happened before. How do I turn that off, so it will not do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel H Rachel H is offline

Thank You, however I can not check it to see if it will correct it at this
time. My work's computer is on Active Directory and a lot of our options are
disabled. I am guessing this is one of them because when I click on tools
the only option I have to choose is synchronize. I will have to get with my
IS department for their help.

Rachel H wrote:
I have a new computer at work with Word 2002. When I first open a
saved document, everything looks fine. If I leave that document
open, and go to open a new document, I see a file at the top of the
list with ~$ and the document name that I have open. This has not
happened before. How do I turn that off, so it will not do it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Just ignore them. It is always good to know what files are being saved on
your hard drive. It should only concern you if they don't go away when you
close Word (and Outlook).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.