Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter K.

Default Subsequent Heading styles with "page break before" are cumulative

I have a straightfoward outline structure (Heading 1 = "1"; Heading 2 =
"1.1"). Currently I have Heading 1 defined with a "page break before". Now I
want to keep that, but also starting Heading 2 on a new page, UNLESS it is
immediately preceded by a Heading 1 (no need for a page break, since the
Heading 1 generated already a page break). Setting "page break before" for
Heading 2 doesn't work, since it leaves the Heading 1 titles on a for the
rest empty page (the 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 etc. start on a new page).

Intuitively I hoped it would work as with the "space before", i.e. that it
wouldn't be cumulative for paragraph styles that followed each other. But it
is...

I tried solving it by removing the "page break before" from Heading 1, and
just keeping the "Keep with next", but this didn't work.

How to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Create a second style that is the same as heading 2 except no page break
before. Use that when needed.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Peter K." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I usually work around this by applying or removing the formatting as
required.

I agree this seems an "accepted use" of direct formatting. Especially
when they are numbered, a second style could give headaches to setup.

I've once written a toggle macro which changes the page break before
property of Heading 1 for a custom template where CI dictated that a
page break before was due, but the users wanted to have the freedom to
suppress it (on a document basis) when the document was short.

For suppressing individually, one would need a toggle macro which simply
switches the property of the selected paragraph. [Or, w/o VBA, setup the
style without the property, and offer a button which sets it and one
which does ResetPara.]

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

More simply, you can use Tools | Customize to assign the ParaPageBreakBefore
command to a toolbar button (it will be a toggle). I haven't actually gotten
around to doing this (though I should), but I do have one for Keep with
Next, which is an incredible timesaver.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
More simply, you can use Tools | Customize to assign the ParaPageBreakBefore
command to a toolbar button (it will be a toggle).

Ahhh, I've used that very button but did not realize it was a toggle,
cool -- thanks! Guess I'll have go through those buttons again (as long
as I can/they're still accessible ... ;-)).

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter K.

Default Subsequent Heading styles with "page break before" are cumulat

Thanks all for your replies.
I created the second style "Heading2bis" (based on the original Heading2),
and off course this worked. Probably next time I'll just do the manual
formatting (something I try to avoid as much as possible) as suggested in the
later replies.

Anyway, both are workarounds, and according to me, keeping the "page break
before" always cumulative is a badly implemented feature (it isn't a bug
though). It can't be that difficult to foresee this type of problems (it was
implemented for the "space before" and "space after", so somebody must have
thought about it).

Does anybody know whether this has improved in the new Word version that
will be released soon?

Thanks, Peter