Doreen

Default Turn off Track changes and keep them off

Is there a way in Word 2002 to permanently turn OFF tracked changes. I
understand that I can protect a document so they stay on, but I'd like a way
to turn them off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CyberTaz

Hi Doreen-

I believe that the only way to get Track Changes 'OFF' permanently is by
accepting/rejecting any changes that have been made since it was turned 'ON',
then turning it off and saving the file.

HTH |:)

"Doreen" wrote:

Is there a way in Word 2002 to permanently turn OFF tracked changes. I
understand that I can protect a document so they stay on, but I'd like a way
to turn them off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Doreen

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I meant. I more meant "how do I keep
someone from turning track changes back on after I've turned it off."

I'm thinking there's no way, but if anyone can think of something, I'd be
glad to hear it.

Doreen

"Doreen" wrote:

Is there a way in Word 2002 to permanently turn OFF tracked changes. I
understand that I can protect a document so they stay on, but I'd like a
way
to turn them off.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CyberTaz

Hi Again-

That is a different matter. Track Changes is a feature of the progam, so
each user can turn it on and off at will in most documents if editing is
allowed.

If the users don't need to edit the file you can just Protect the doc, which
disables Track Changes since changes can't be made. If they do need to revise
the doc I don't know of any way to prevent turning the feature on as an
attribute of the file, itself. (Although I guess anything is possible if you
know VBA well enough.)

Continue to check back in case one of the MVPs tunes in and has something to
offer. If you don't get any more replies, repost the question as you last
presented it. About the only other option I know of is to sneak into
everyone's system and use the Customize dialog box to rip Track Changes out
of their menu... but that's a little radical.

Good Luck |:)