Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fkosmakos

Default Capitals at the start of every line

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line with a
capital letter?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Stop pressing enter at the end of each preceding line.

"fkosmakos" wrote in message
Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line with
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fkosmakos

this has to be a joke. Are you saying that there is no way to stop capitals
at the beginning of every line? In Word, I will start a new line if I am
near the edge, I guess you are saying I should use the down arrow, but after
30 years of typing it is hard not to hit 'enter'.

In Outlook, I try to keep the type 'in view' and use 'enter' to do this.

ALSO. I PROBABLY NEED TO ENTER THIS IN THE IE SECTION, BUT IF I HIT THE
HYPERLINK IN MY E-MAIL WHICH NOTIFIES ME THAT I HAVE RECEIVED A REPLY TO MY
POSTINGS, IT GOES TO A PAGE THAT SAYS "SORRY THE PAGE YOU REQUESTED IS NOT
AVAILABLE"

"fkosmakos" wrote in message
Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line with
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Enter is for the end of paragraphs, not the end of lines. If you press
Enter, Word thinks you are starting a new paragraph, hence the capitals. You
don't need to do anything at the end of ordinary lines ... just go on
typing.

"fkosmakos" wrote in message
Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line
with
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fkosmakos

so you are saying there is no way to stop it. WORD knows what I am writing
better than I and I can stop it or ask it to take a break?

Also, I cannot open my initial posting and responses. When I click on it, it
opens up, but then the screen changes and it displays only the initial
posting. I read your resonse through the side panel then had to check off
'reply' to see it and reply. It was not always this way.

"fkosmakos" wrote in message
Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line
with
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Yes, there is a way to stop Word from starting every new line with a capital
letter. To to Tools - Auto Correct Options, and on the tab that says Auto
Correct, unselect the box for "Start each sentence with a capital letter."

However, Jezebel is correct. A modern word processor is NOT just a fancy
typewriter. Word processors have a feature called word wrapping. The
program knows where the margins are, and it will automatically wrap the words
to the next line for you. You do not need (or even want) to hit a "carriage
return" at the end of every line.

Word wrap will allow you to go back and revise something you wrote
yesterday, without having to adjust the lines. As an editor, there are very
few things I hate worse than trying to edit something that has a hard return
at the end of every line. (Unless maybe it's working on a document that uses
spaces to indent text.)

Fred

"fkosmakos" wrote:

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line with a
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

That was supposed to say "Go to," not "To to." We're not ballerinas here
(Oh. That's tutu, isn't it?)

"fkosmakos" wrote:

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line with a
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should have seen the document I got that not only was manually
double-spaced (Enter pressed twice at the end of every line) but had lines
not only indented but also centered using spaces. Etc.

"fkosmakos" wrote:

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line

with a
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Don't tell me things like that! I'll have bad dreams and won't get my beauty
sleep. (And believe me, I need it.)

"fkosmakos" wrote:

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line

with a
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I got my revenge; I used a screen shot of part of the MS as an illustration
in a talk I gave to other writers (see Figure 1 at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordsinto...elyPilcrow.htm).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You should have seen the document I got that not only was manually
double-spaced (Enter pressed twice at the end of every line) but had

lines
not only indented but also centered using spaces. Etc.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote in

message

"fkosmakos" wrote:

Is there a way to stop word and outlook from starting every new line

with a
capital letter?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Word is not a typewriter, it's a word processor and it will wrap text to the
margins you have set automatically. The capitalisation occurs because you
have tools autocorrect options capitalize the first letter of sentences
checked. Uncheching that will stop the capitalisation but it will not stop
the ridiculous use of the software which will make it extremely time
consuming for anyone to edit your work.