NaomiBolderheij

Default Different number format on different pages

Hi,
I'm writing my thesis at the moment and am trying to figure out how to work
the page numbers so that the cover page has no number, the table of contents
is numbered using i,ii..iv and the introduction onwards is numbered 1-50,
and the appendix I-V. Is this possible and if so HOW?

Please help, deadline is approachin

Naomi
Dawn Crosier

The easiest way to have different page numberings in a document
such as you describe is to break your document into sections.

At the end of your Table of Contents, from the Insert menu,
select Break. Select a Next Page section break.
At the end of your thesis, just before you start your Appendix,
repeat adding a Next Page section break. If you note at the
bottom of your document, you should see the number of sections in
your document indicated as 3 (barring your having created any
other section breaks already)

CTRL+Home to the first page in your document.
From your view menu select Header and Footer.
Click into your footer section and select the Page Setup icon on
the Header and Footer toolbar.
On the Layout tab, place a checkmark in Different First Page.
Click OK.
Note that the text above your Footer area, now says First Page
Footer - Section 1
Click the Show Next icon in your Header and Footer toolbar. You
will then jump to your next page in this instance which is
identified as saying Footer - Section 1. Note that the right
hand side of the footer section says "Same as Previous". On your
Header and Footer toolbar, there is an icon which is depressed
and it toggles off the Same as Previous feature of that footer.
Same as Previous makes sure that this footer matches the first
page footer, which you do not want. Continue browsing your
footer sections and turning off the Same as Previous feature
*before* you start inserting your page numbers. Once you have
all four footer sections toggled off, you can Show Previous to
Footer Section 1.

On the Header and Footer toolbar, there is a Format Page Number
Icon. Click that to choose your i, ii, iii, page number type.
Click OK, and then click your Insert Page Number icon. Show next
to Footer - Section 2 and repeat only choosing your 1, 2, 3, page
number type. Show next to Footer - Section 3 and repeat only
choosing your I, II, III page number type. Once you have done
that, you can close out of your Header and Footer toolbar /
section by clicking the Close button on the toolbar.

IF you have additional sections in the body of your thesis, then
you can still insert your page numbers the same way, but note
that there is an option in the Format Page number dialog box to
Continue from Previous section.

Hopefully, this will help get you going. Let us know if you need
more assistance. And Good Luck on your Thesis. I am sure your
professor will be suitably impressed. :-)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.